Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2008, 8:33 pm

"Persepolis" isn't playing anywhere near me, so I couldn't see it even if I wanted to.

I'm not really sure what to think of what I've seen of it. But it does look very different.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 18th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Don't get me wrong; I like Persepolis, a lot. But I enjoyed the graphic novel much more.

I already have the DVD, and the soundtrack, thanks to my ASIFA-Hollywood membership (thanks, ASIFA!). It is a very effective, and affective, film .. and is definitely very different from most 'western' animated features. It is very much worth watching. But at the same time, it is definitely not a film broad audiences are likely to enjoy; it is firmly in 'art-theatre' territory.

----------------

A similar japanese animated feature is Only Yesterday (aka Omoide Poro-Poro, roughly translated as "tear-drop memories"), directed by Isao Takahata and produced at Studio Ghibli. It tells the story of a Tokyo OL ('office lady') who reflects on her childhood in 1960's Japan, while struggling with the beginnings of a 'mid-life' crisis in the early-1980's.

Unfortunately, Only Yesterday is the one remaining Studio Ghibli film which has not received a Region-1 release under the Tokuma distribution deal with Disney .. which is a shame, since it is among its very best (second only to Hayao Miyazaki's features, IMHO). It has been released in english in both the UK (R-2) and Australia (R-4) .. but it has yet to be 'legally' available in the U.S. or Canada. It is well-worth seeking out, however .. especially if you enjoyed Persepolis.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2008, 10:47 pm

It'd be nice to see Disney hold up its end of the Tokuma (Ghibili's parent corporation) publishing deal and release Only Yesterday.

Right now, it's only played on TCM in the United States one or twice and that was well before I had a DVD recorder. If only I knew then what I knew now...!

I've signed one of the petitions to get Disney to release Only Yesterday on DVD in the States but if they're not budging over Song of the South which has a far bigger outcry for its release, I might be waiting until a Blu-Ray release for Only Yesterday. I just don't want to deal with modding a DVD player to play one darn film on DVD. That isn't an issue with American/Japanese Blu-Ray discs, however.

P.S. -- I'm also holding out for the eventual Blu-Ray release of Macross: The Movie. It's only a matter of time before that one gets a BR release, too. It was recently remastered in high-definition for its last R2 DVD release in December '07 but a BR disc should be around the corner for it, too.

Macross is another film that will never get an American release any time soon because of legalities.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 18th, 2008, 11:04 pm

I've never heard of that one, but It does sound interesting (I'll have to look into it).

I really enjoyed the Graphic Novel of Persepolis as well, but I can understand why they changed bits of it for the film. The film works well for what it is, but I agree that you get much more out of the graphic novel.
It is very much worth watching. But at the same time, it is definitely not a film broad audiences are likely to enjoy; it is firmly in 'art-theatre' territory.
I agree. That's why I'm annoyed at the Academy for dismissing the film as simply a "cartoon", and unworthy of a nomination for Best Foreign Film. It's similar to the way Rat (despite being the best reviewed film of the year) would never have been considered for Best Film.

I really can't stand how they just lump everything together in a way that prevents the filmmakers from getting the recognition they so rightly deserve. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2008, 6:51 am

I think anything that pushes "boundaries" is a good thing. I'm very much looking forward to seeing Persepolis in April, here in the UK.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » February 21st, 2008, 1:18 pm

Ben wrote:I can't believe La Vie En Rose didn't walk away with a Foreign Film nod. Saw it over the weekend, and...wow...heavy going but brilliant. Marion Cotillard deserves the Best Actress award she's up for for her amazing portrayal of Edith Piaf, along with the Make Up prize, for the stunning transformation from her as a young girl to a woman looking for older than her years.

But...how this didn't get in as a Best Foreign Film is beyond me. :(
La Vie En Rose was not eligible. A film must be submitted by its country of origin and each country only gets one submission. France decided to send Persepolis instead, but unfortunately lost on that front. The same thing goes for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2008, 8:08 pm

Those seelly French people! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Spirited Away won for best animated feature a few years ago, remember, so Persepolis might just have a chance. What I would like is to see Persepolis win for animated feature and Ratatouille win for best original screenplay (one of my professors, who's been a screenwriter for decades, called Rat the best film about talent ever written). I haven't seen Persepolis yet, but I totally loved the books when I read them so I'm seriously looking forward to it. For the dvd, it would be great if they did a competent, well made english dub and included the original french track with subtitles as an option. That way, the film could find a wider audience with people who don't like to read subtitles (or can't).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 24th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Congratulations to Pixar, and Brad Bird, for Ratatouille's win of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. It was extremely well-deserved! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 25th, 2008, 12:00 am

I still think The Simpsons should have been nominated. Surf's Up was good, but The Simpsons Movie was better. If nothing else, it deserves props for not being a trainwreck and actually being one of the best TV-to-film conversions yet (although it's behind the totally underrated Ducktales movie in my book).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » February 25th, 2008, 12:10 am

droosan wrote:Congratulations to Pixar, and Brad Bird, for Ratatouille's win of the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature. It was extremely well-deserved! :D
Yes, it was well-deserved!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DarrenBest » February 25th, 2008, 11:09 am

Congratulations to Ratatouille! Gotta love the Pixar! I'm hoping they can keep their successful Oscar run well into the future!

Personally, I would have voted for Persepolis, but I don't mind it's loss, considering the high quality of the winner. This is the first time this decade where I had two animated features in my top ten list, so I think it's great that there was an actual competition this season. Alright guys, on to next year's predictions! LOL.

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by REINIER » March 16th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Surf's Up swept ME away 8)

alass... critics will be critics

Am curious for next years line-up

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

14 films to compete for 2008 Animated Feature Oscar

Post by Adam » November 11th, 2008, 11:02 am

This is the official list of films competing for the 2008 Oscar for Animated Feature Film:

Bolt (CGI, US)
Delgo (CGI, US)
Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who! (CGI, US)
Dragon Hunters (CGI, US)
Fly Me to the Moon (CGI, US)
Igor (CGI, US)
Kung Fu Panda (CGI, US)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (CGI, US)
$9.99 (Stop Motion, Australia)
The Sky Crawlers (Traditional, Japan)
Sword of the Stranger (Traditional, Japan)
The Tale of the Despereaux (CGI, US)
WALL•E (CGI, US)
Waltz With Bashir (Flash, Israel)

As per the rules, since the number of eligible films is under 15, there will only be three films nominated. I was hoping the French film about the two princes would make the list, as it would ensure five nominations. The Japanese films and the Australian film would really benefit from a nomination.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 11th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Assuming WALL-E goes for the best picture nom (as has been rumored), my pick would be Horton. I haven't seen the rest of the list, but Horton was really the first time a studio got Dr. Seuss right and it was a great little movie. Can't wait to see it again.