Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » January 22nd, 2008, 9:11 am

Ratatouille surely deserves all the nominations. I'm also delighted to see Alexander Petrov's "My Love" in the Best animated short category. Another incredible film from an exceptional artist.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 9:19 am

Wow...this was a surprise and snuck up on me out of the blue - I wasn't expecting these announcements until next week.

I'm delighted that Surf's Up won out over The Simpsons and Bee Movie to make that third slot.

I think it's going to be an interesting battle between the Rat and Persepolis though...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 22nd, 2008, 10:00 am

Ben wrote:I think it's going to be an interesting battle between the Rat and Persepolis though...
Only because the Academy seems to like to look "artsy" or "issue-oriented" lately. No offense to Perspolis, which I can't wait to see. But when an animated film pick up 5 nominations I think it is obvious that is was probably considered the best one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 10:02 am

I've no doubt the Rat will win, but just two words:

"Spirited Away"

... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 22nd, 2008, 10:08 am

Ben wrote:I've no doubt the Rat will win, but just two words:

"Spirited Away"

... ;)
Which was the primary inspiration for my last post! I am not sure at all Ratatouille will win based on past Oscar history of occasionally picking the socially popular rather than the most deserving.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 22nd, 2008, 11:01 am

"Ratatouille" gets me vote...although I haven't seen "Persepolis".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » January 22nd, 2008, 11:48 am

Both Ratatouille and Persepolis are great films. Whichever wins or loses, its hardly going to make any difference. Losing an award wouldn't be end-of-the-world for anyone, I'm sure.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » January 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am

I haven't seen any of the nominees for animated short, since none of them were mainstream releases. Therefore, without a point of comparison I can't complain about the nominations. But I am curious about the shorts I did see this past year and why they were left out.

"Lifted" was really good. Not Pixar's best ever, but even their worst are still very, very good. (I don't remember for sure, but I'm thinking that maybe "Lifted" was in the running last year. If so, that would explain why its not on this years list of nominees.)

What about Goofy's "How to Hook Up Your Home Theater"? Again, not the best short ever made, but very, very good. Are these other five that much better, or was there some other reason the Goof was left out?

Again, I'm not complaining since I have no point of reference. I'm just curious, looking to be informed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 22nd, 2008, 12:20 pm

Lifted was nominated last year, Phil.

Concerning Goofy and Pixar's Your Friend the Rat: I guess they were just not the academy's taste. :?
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » January 22nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Nice to see Giacchino finally nominated for best score, though I have a feeling that Atonement or 3:10 to Yuma will win...the Academy seems to like "serious" films. As for Michael Clayton...I'm a huge James Newton Howard fan, but this has got to be one of his worst scores ever. There were plenty of other infinitely superior JNH scores this year.

Anyway, I guess hoping that Ratatouille would get a Best Pic nod was naively optimistic of me.... Interesting that it's nominated for the same categories as The Incredibles was.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 2:13 pm

Yes, good to see Giacchion in the Oscar's circle, and for one of his truly best scores to boot.

For anyone who's read any of my reviews on such things, I'm well against DVD bonus features being recognised for Academy Awards, and Your Friend The Rat was a DVD bonus. Perhaps AMPAS has finally caught on to that.

I'm surprised Goofy wasn't in there. Traditionally a hand-drawn "throwback" has always made the cut - Mickey's Christmas Carol, Runaway Brain, the Roger Rabbits, those Fantasia Continued shorts - so the five nominations must be something special indeed.

Not a surprise that the Rat didn't get a Best Pic nod...I'll keep harping on about it but while there's a segregated Best Animated Feature award, an animated film can never compete in the Best Picture stakes. If there <I>was</I> something that made the cut, it would never win and would also chop itself out of winning the Best Animated Feature award, so it's a double edged sword.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 22nd, 2008, 2:22 pm

Ratatouille deserve the best animated feature.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 22nd, 2008, 2:23 pm

Animated films can be nominated in both the overall and animated best picture categories. But Ben's point is sadly true - it won't happen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2008, 3:03 pm

Haven't seen Persepolis, but Ratatouille and Surf's Up were both fantastic animated films. I'm quite pleased with this year's selection.
I'm delighted that Surf's Up won out over The Simpsons and Bee Movie to make that third slot.
Ditto. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 22nd, 2008, 3:06 pm

James wrote:Animated films can be nominated in both the overall and animated best picture categories. But Ben's point is sadly true - it won't happen.
Why Rataotuille whouldn't win?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]