Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2006, 6:27 pm

I will say that this is one of the most interesting animated features on the radar.

As with Monster House, we weren't quite knowing what to expect, as opposed to more talking animals/cars/bugs, etc...

The designs here look fun, if a little crowded, and I sure hope that the bubble/pipe tube way of riding doesn't give way to more 3D travelling POV shots - they have been done to death in every CGI film since the fly through the Cave Of Wonders in Aladdin!

Also, and although it was way into production before Lasseter and the Pixar execs came into the fray, this IS the film that they will ultimately be judged upon, and I just hope it can be a very different beast to the soft touches of the usual Pixar worlds.

Funny, though, how Hill has to finish his piece on a down beat: "Or are you still somewhat undecided about whether or not you actually want to "Meet the Robinsons"?"

Well, Jim, actually I do! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by avelinforl32 » September 5th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Yeah,and that city looks almost excatly in Robots movies,who's agree?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 5th, 2006, 8:54 pm

"Or are you still somewhat undecided about whether or not you actually want to "Meet the Robinsons"?"

Well, Jim, actually I do! Smile
I'd rather Meet the Fockers. J/K :lol:

Seriously, this movie looks like it will be tons of fun! :)
Yeah,and that futurist city looks almost excatly onRobots,who's agree?
I personally think it's better than Robots...Robots was cool, but way too BUSY (scenery wise--don't get even get me started on dialogue) The designs were quite amazing but there was just TOO MUCH going on in every frame that you couldn't focus on any one thing. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 15th, 2006, 7:14 pm

Well, I wasn't sure where to post this, but....Jim Hill must be REALLY desperate to get his readers back because there are TWO new stories with lots of news about upcoming films like MTR, Bee Movie, Toy Story III, American Dog, Kung-Fu Panda, Enchanted, and I think Rupunzal too.

Plus TONS TONS TONS of gorgeous artwork/photos...enough to make your head spin--especially American Dog, Bee Movie and Rupunzal!! :D

It's animation geek heaven!!! :) Way to go, Jim! :wink:

www.jimhillmedia.com
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 16th, 2006, 8:55 am

And we've got this one too - http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /5733.aspx :D :D :D

Anyway, I agree about the Robots city being WAY too busy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 9th, 2006, 12:39 am

Here's an update on MTR and a little info on Frog Princess as well:

:)

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... today.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Sounds promising :D and that's all I'll say :wink: I really do hope they turn out well. We need more films, like the good ole days :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 10th, 2006, 11:48 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2006, 1:03 am

That was kinda sad :( people losing their jobs. But what can you expect in the entertainment industry. Its good to hear about Ed though, more business people need to be more upfront and not beat around the Bush cough*Eisner*cough. That's shows a lot on his part :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 1:55 am

I can't help wondering if maybe they're wittling down WDFA to make it more like the small, insular, and tight-knit Pixar?

Actually they might be, here's what Steve Hulett wrote:

And now we have a new management team in charge of Disney animation, and they are remolding the division closer to the model located in Emeryville.
I still don't really get why they're doing this though. Are they trying to re-build WDFA in Pixar's image? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 11th, 2006, 2:04 am

Why the heck isn't Jim Hill covering this? Or the DW/Aardman split? :(

But thankfully, he does have:

A couple of words on American Dog, plus, some cool trivia!

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /6133.aspx

:)

O.K....this is just my humble opinion:
:wink:

If what Jim said in the article is true, then it only confirms my thought that Pixar dislikes anything that's "weird", "different" or "quirky." (read: adult) It doesn't make them "bad" but in my opinion it is their primary flaw. It's what detracted from the otherwise enjoyable, if essentially simplistic, journeys of Cars and Finding Nemo.

Witness their tossing out Gnoemo and Juliet, their assertion that MTR needs more action/"future is cool" gimmickry and less Bowler Hat Guy (at least according to what we've heard), and their apparent discomfort with American Dog. (A "quirky" Chris Sanders story as JHM has said, kind of like, oh, I don't know...Lilo and Stitch? :roll: )

But this is only what I think based on what we've heard, and of course I could be completely off. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » October 11th, 2006, 7:59 am

I kinda agree with you. Despite all of Lasseter's talk about returning Disney to it's roots, we still haven't seen any productions under his control and therefore we don't really know how these films are gonna turn out.

Of course it's all speculation right now and the term quirky is pretty vague wouldn't you agree? But like you said, Lilo and Stitch was probably the last great Disney film and most iconic in the last 6 years, so is quirkiness necessarily a bad thing? Especially when you consider John Lasseter just directed a film about talking Cars set in another universe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Which is why Lasseter is <I>not</I> the next Walt Disney... ;)

And that Hill article...what <I>FILLER</I>!! That was perhaps the lamest excuse to fill a column. Anyone with a half decent DVD collection would know all that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 11th, 2006, 1:56 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I can't help wondering if maybe they're wittling down WDFA to make it more like the small, insular, and tight-knit Pixar?
I still don't really get why they're doing this though. Are they trying to re-build WDFA in Pixar's image? Shouldn't it be the other way around?
:(
Why would they want to build Pixar in WFDA's image? As far as I've seen for the last 8 years animation fans have done nothing but complain about the way WDFA has been run. During that same period Pixar has basically done everything right in most animation fans' eyes. It would seem irresponsible to not let Pixar take the lead in melding the two divisions together.

Unless you have some ulterior motive. You're not wanting Disney/Pixar to fail and let some other studio be the top dog in animation, are you Vi? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 11th, 2006, 2:00 pm

ShyViolet wrote:If what Jim said in the article is true, then it only confirms my thought that Pixar dislikes anything that's "weird", "different" or "quirky." (read: adult) It doesn't make them "bad" but in my opinion it is their primary flaw. It's what detracted from the otherwise enjoyable, if essentially simplistic, journeys of Cars and Finding Nemo.

Witness their tossing out Gnoemo and Juliet, their assertion that MTR needs more action/"future is cool" gimmickry and less Bowler Hat Guy (at least according to what we've heard), and their apparent discomfort with American Dog. (A "quirky" Chris Sanders story as JHM has said, kind of like, oh, I don't know...Lilo and Stitch? :roll: )

But this is only what I think based on what we've heard, and of course I could be completely off. :roll:
I'm afraid I'd have to go with the track record here over rumors of "quirkiness". It's no secret that Disney has had MAJOR story problems with just about every single film they have released this decade. Is it really hard to believe that maybe there are some issues with their next three that need to be hammered out now that a proven story team is looking over their shoulders?

And since when has "quirkiness" read as "adult"? ;)