Meet The Robinsons

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 23rd, 2006, 6:03 pm

Zipping what? Your mouth?

Don't tell me you read your posts outloud as you type them!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 23rd, 2006, 6:05 pm

'Course not, just speaking figuritively. :wink: :oops:

Plus I'm in a public computer terminal! :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 23rd, 2006, 6:09 pm

Then whisper them.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 24th, 2006, 3:20 am

Meg wrote:So.
Meet The Robinsons.

Looks good, huh?
I don't know. That trailer just looks like a bunch of unconnected scenes that don't really pass as an overall story. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 24th, 2006, 10:52 am

Ben wrote:I don't know. That trailer just looks like a bunch of unconnected scenes that don't really pass as an overall story. ;)
And what about those stuck up and self-aggrandizing Disney folks who but a blatant reference to themselves in the trailer itself! They couldn't even wait to just do it in the film! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 24th, 2006, 2:59 pm

Hee. That shot cracks me up.
That trailer just looks like a bunch of unconnected scenes that don't really pass as an overall story.
Actually you have a point, even if you were joking. :? The teaser seems really thrown together to me...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Actually you have a point, even if you were joking. The teaser seems really thrown together to me...
Yeah, that's why I couldn't really think of anything to say about it per se...although trailers can be misleading. :)

I just didn't seem to understand what the central oonflict is, but I'm sure there is one.

Also, for a minute when I saw "TodayLand" it looked like "ToyLand"! :) Hey, how about remaking "Dance of the Wooden Soldiers" as an animatedf film! 8)

EDIT: That's "March of the Wooden Soldiers". DOTWS is the Tchaikovsky piece. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 3:56 pm

So was Shrek.

Yes, which explains why it was the first movie to win the "Best Animated Film" Oscar, and the first animated film to premiere at Cannes in many, many, years. (not since Dumbo I think.) :P 8)

I can't remember, but I don't think any Pixar film, even Incredibles, ever premiered at Cannes.

(Wonder if Ratatouille will? :wink: :roll: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 24th, 2006, 5:21 pm

ShyViolet wrote: So was Finding Nemo.
Yes, which explains why it also won the "Best Animated Film" Academy Award!

Seriously though, Shrek and Finding Nemo are very similar films, structure-wise.
ShyViolet wrote:first animated film to premiere at Cannes in many, many, years. (not since Dumbo I think.) I can't remember, but I don't think any Pixar film, even Incredibles, ever premiered at Cannes. (Wonder if Ratatouille will?)
Cannes is a film festival. Studios submit films to be shown there. Sony could have screened Open Season there if they had entered it! If Pixar wanted to premiere a film there, they could do so easily - but they would probably consider it a kind of stuck up and self-aggrandizing way to do it! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 24th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Seriously though, "Finding Nemo" IS, you could fairly argue, somewhat episodic. Its really just a series of adventures with Marlin and Dory encountering various characters and, usually, never running into them again.

"Shrek" had a very tight storyline. Now, you could say that the sequel was a "Series of events", if you wanted to. When I first saw it, I myself said that it may have been "Less focused" than the original.

But "Nemo" had so much heart, and "Shrek 2" stays funny with repeated viewings, so who's complaining? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 24th, 2006, 7:15 pm

I think Shrek (the First) was very episodic as well, and other than content, is similar to Nemo:

- meet the characters
- set up the conflict that creates the quest
- a character that the protagonist considers annoying tags along
- have several episodic adventures that are really irrelevant to the plot itself other than to give some character development
- rescue the annoying character
- fulfill the quest
- happy ending
- win an Oscar

Not implying that is a bad outline. But as it is followed by both films, you can't really complain that one is episodic and the other is tight!
But "Nemo" had so much heart, and "Shrek 2" stays funny with repeated viewings, so who's complaining
Not me! I liked both films! (Hated Shrek 1 though!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 24th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Here's part 2 of the TAG story:

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ing-2.html :wink:

Love that site! And Kevin Koch is awesome! (I don't know him, I just like how he writes. :wink:)

:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 25th, 2006, 11:03 am

Not me! I liked both films! (Hated Shrek 1 though!)
Well, I liked both films. And Shrek 1. ;)

You want a movie that's really just a series of events? "Ice Age 2".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 25th, 2006, 12:28 pm

Seconded!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » October 25th, 2006, 12:52 pm

But Scrat was too funny to call it a bad movie. What I laughed...
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]