Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 19th, 2007, 6:22 am

I like them better. When I first saw the teaser trailer, I was kind of put off by how hairy looking Remy was...Now he seems to be smoother and furrier. Nice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 19th, 2007, 12:18 pm

Danny - Haha -- thanks, Danny. :lol:

And nope -- I didn't notice. I'm a llittle vague when it comes to these things. (snigger)

JV - Cool -- thanks for the information, JV! :D

To tell you the truth, I kind of miss the old, teaser poster that used to be on the "wall". However, I love that picture of Remy when you roll over the poster. *blushes*

I'm also liking Remy's new fur texture and colors, too. He looks more like a blue rat, which fits him perfectly. His cartoony look, on the other hand.... :P

Hey guys, check this out:

My dad, being an animator, works for various studios -- this time, he is working at Disney Studios...again. After the wonderful orientation session he had to attend (:roll: (snigger) ), the "introductees" gave him a couple of little trinkets, one of them being a Ratatouille calendar featuring Remy and his brother, Emille, at the bottom of the page! Dad got four of these, and my sister and I got 'em, he knowing how much we love Ratatouille and rats in general. I'm telling you, we just let out a great "whoop" for joy when we saw those little beauties!!! :D

As you can see, Emille has been slightly modified: cuter profile, rounder face, less chuby body, etc. He and Remy also look alot more like brothers in this shot.
You may also notice that the Pixar animators added a few things to these two characters:

- Fuzz on outside of ears and nose - Real rats have little bits of fur on their ears and nose.
- Smoother body texture - Remy and Emille's fur texture and colors are more suitable for them, in that they now look more life-like.
- Different profile - Remy and Emille look much more like rats, due to the placement of their incisors and their rounder faces.

I'm in love with Remy now. (sighs) ;)
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 19th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Cool, so it's not just Remy who got a makeover! Lovin' the new designs, as the earlier ones never really appealed to me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » January 19th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Mitch wrote: As you can see, Emille has been slightly modified: cuter profile, rounder face, less chuby body, etc. He and Remy also look alot more like brothers in this shot.
Very interesting picture :) Thanks! Visual quality of this movie is going to be stunning!

Well, they both look obviously cuter, but now I miss their previous shaggy personalities with those misbehaving strands of furr above their brows... They became more polite and sweet like plushies but they lost this muppet thing which I liked. Emille was LIKEABLE big hairy teddy bear - slower, fatter, bigger older brother. On picture posted by You he looks to me more like small overweighted pig mixed with mindles squirrel. I hope that this is only my skewed impression derived from some kind of lost proportions or false perspective in that picture. New furr looks great, but with old, not so perfected one gone something is lost...

You may also notice that the Pixar animators added a few things to these two characters:
Of course it ("Pixar animators") was a metonymy ? ;) Animator generally as a animation studio employee ? Personally I doubt it, but maybe not all of us at this forum knows that in big house 3d animation industry it's not animator who's typicaly responsible for character's design and actual look as a digital puppet. Actual puppet is digitally sculpted by a technical director (modeler to be more specific) after design drawings/sculptures he/she got and then it's mapped, textured, rigged by other TDs before it goes to animation department :)

ps. I really like Remy's pose on this picture :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2007, 3:06 pm

So now that W.A.L.-E. is out of the bag, does anyone know about the other four projects that are being planned afterward? Is Brad Bird still planning on doing Ray Gunn?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » January 20th, 2007, 3:09 pm

I've never heard of Ray Gunn.
I actually don't think Brad Bird is planning to do anything right now. He must be stressed with Ratatouille.
But I think after Ratatouille he will do my most anticipated movie of all time: THE INCREDIBLES 2. It HAS to be made.

BTW, Toy Story 3 is going to happen.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Here's some posts on Ray Gunn from PowerPuff.com in 2005:

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Brad Bird stuff
Ciel

Mood: "Patar ugga Squag!"

[*] posted on 11-11-2005 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Brad Bird stuff

I was wondering if anyone knows anything more about Brad Bird's most recent attempts to produce "Ray Gun," "Ray Gunn," or "Raygun," a 2D animation feature, probably through Pixar. Rumors are mixed about when or whether it's coming out. I read at the imdb.com forums that it's more likely to come out June, 2009.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0083348/board/nest/17066951
The site here below says 2007 however.
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/67514-Ray_Gun.html
Wikipedia doesn't have much to say about it,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gun_(movie)
but it confirms the fact that WB might possibly stand in the way of it's production just for the fact that they own rights to the film. I don't know how the bureaucracy works. X-|

I'm also interrested in what it'll be about:
Quote:
posted by Greg Manwaring
Ha! Cool coiincidence Harald! "Ray Gunn" is a project of Brad Birds that was supposed to get made while Brad was still over at Turners. Ray Gunn is a gumshoe detective. It's set in the future and he carries a ray gun.
http://haraldsiepermann.blogspot.com/20 ... aygun.html

As you'll see, there are only a few accounts. The one quoted and the one found at bcdb.com are the only ones I've seen. I've also read that it might have adult ratings, (PG13 or higher). There're still several uncertainties about the film however so I'm not sure about the rating. Ray Gunn, was a project Brad Bird worked on with Turner Animation. He says it was a bit dark so it didn't fly. [ http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Interview ... erview.htm ] That would explain why some people think Ray Gun, would get adult ratings. Here's hoping it'll be another film like Iron Giant, or The Incredibles, (masterpiece of masterpieces), which are more mature, but for kids also.

As for who's producing Ray Gun, the only sure thing seems to be that Pixar will be involved. They may work out a new deal with Disney after Cars (said to be their last co-production), or not. What happens with Warner Brothers I donno. :P One little rumor says it'll be produced by Birdworks, supposedly Brad Bird's own new production company.

Anyone who can answer my questions or respond with any additional information about Ray Gun, is my internet heroe for the day! And of course, comments are welcome. I like it when I'm not the only one "geekin' out" when it comes to Brad Bird films.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Ciel's Aim Ciel's Yahoo
Ciel

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote

With all my spare time, I've been obsessing.. as I sometimes do. This is a great interview about the project:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16604
Quote:
by Brad Bird,
It [Ray Gunn] has enough of the stuff that Hollywood traditionally recognizes as being in a children's film, but hopefully we've been able to kind of squeeze some adult stuff in there in a way that doesn't put kids off.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member Ciel's Aim Ciel's Yahoo
Ciel

[*] posted on 11-12-2005 at 03:05 AM Reply With Quote

Golly. I messed up. It seems Ray Gunn would be the first 2D animation produced by Pixar, and not Ratatouille as I thought earlier, [ http://www.cgexplorer.com/cinema/movies/ratatouille/ ]. I was seeing things that weren't there I guess. That raises another question about whether or not Pixar will really decide to produce any 2D animation, let alone "Gunn". I understand Pixar bought quite a few of Disney's old animation tables, AND I heard that they've taken on a lot of Disney's seasoned 2D animators. I've read some speculation about whether those tables will be put to use at a Pixar University, but that doesn't seem to be well-founded IMO. Another rumor, (still just a rumor though the one who posted it, known as Mr. Fun, is reputed to be a reliable source), states:
Quote:
Where are they going to put all those animation desks? Might not be a problem if Steve Jobs builds those two new buildings he has been talking about. After the recent “The Incredibles” screenings, it’s clear Pixar makes hit movies. From what I’ve seen of the Emeryville campus, real estate won’t be a problem.
http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 053#000000

Unfortunately many of my sources are dated. I'd think there should be more information out about it now. All I could find from more recent news was this in an interview at http://www.readymademag.com/feature_16_bbird.php :
Quote:
by ReadyMade.com & Brad Bird
RM: I know you can't talk too much about your next project, but tell me what you're thinking.

BB: There's way more than one. All those years that I was trying to make movies in L.A. and getting projects on the runway at every studio there was-I sold a number of pitches, but no one would ever clear me for takeoff, so they've been stacking up like planes at O'Hare. Some of them are live action, some of them are animation, and some of them are blends, strange blends.

It suggests to me that Brad is thinking of taking some of his old work, possibly Gunn, and continuing it.[/b]
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 20th, 2007, 3:26 pm

I saw some concept art for RayGunn over at some blog - I'll try and see if I can find it again. It was pretty neat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 20th, 2007, 3:27 pm

Cool! :)

Also, DW has been planning on their own superhero movie "Rex Havoc" for quite some years now. I think it comes out about 2009 or 2010. If Pixar does go through with RG, I hope people don't "accuse" DW of that whole ripping off Pixar thing....AGAIN.... :roll: :roll:

"Ray Gunn" apparently also had this whole "city of the future" thing in its story (dark) like Blade Runner or something.

Is that why Lassetter and company haven't been playing up MTR much? Are they paving the way for Ray Gunn after all? :?: :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 20th, 2007, 3:56 pm

I don't know - I heard Ray Gunn is supposed to be like PG-13ish, and I don't think Disney OR Pixar would be very keen on making an animated film with a rating like that, and neither would most other animation studios, which is a shame.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » January 20th, 2007, 3:59 pm

PG-13? :shock: I don't think Pixar would ever make a movie with a rating over PG!

Did you ever find that blog Meg?
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » January 20th, 2007, 5:08 pm

Here's some Ratatouille stuff that is on ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » January 21st, 2007, 5:28 am

I think Brad Bird is a pretty persuasive guy. I mean he pursaded John to let him have a PG for The Incredibles. They might enter a whole new market for CG adult aimed Animated films.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 21st, 2007, 11:28 am

I don't want Pixar to make movies that are geared toward adults

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » January 21st, 2007, 3:54 pm

Same here Macaluso. I don't think they will.