WALL-E

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 16th, 2008, 9:24 pm

How strange!

Frankly, I don't mind the card packaging...it's quite unique but for the careful handling of the discs...but pleased the BD 3-Disc (yes, I'm going for that for the slipcase) comes in a standard case.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 18th, 2008, 10:58 pm

But Ben,

I thought you HATED digital copy and thought it was a rip-off? :wink:

So, the cute cover got you in a soft spot? :lol:

P.S. -- I got the 3-disc Blu-Ray of Wall-E as well. Given the choice between the 2-disc set and 3-disc with portable, I went for the 3-disc which was selling FOR THE SAME amount as the 2-disc MSRP! (Yes, I am a comparison shopper and don't blink at a $2-$3 difference.) AFTER I bought the 2-disc version at Best Buy.

BB for some reason DIDN'T have the 3-disc version but I saw it at Wal-Mart. Well, I have business in that part of town so I am making the trip to BB to get my money back.

iPod must have Wall-E to go!

P.S. P.S. -- I HATE eco-packaging. It's a retarded way to package movie discs. Yeah, so save the planet by wasting more money on yet MORE sleeves that will be thrown in the trash? Really makes sense, guys!

Cardboard sleeves are almost guaranteed to scratch DVDs and they just don't handle any kind of abuse. I'm glad that at least the Blu-Ray version of Futurama Movie 3: Bender's Game came in the regular BD case. I hated the packaging on the first two Futurama films! Those movies went right into thin packs with the paper inserts in the packaging.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 19th, 2008, 12:01 am

The Best Buy in Burbank had only two copies of WALL-E on blu-ray on its shelves upon opening the store this morning .. and both were the 2-disc version. Luckily, I got one of them 8) .. I'm pretty sure the other one was 'gone' mere seconds later. They did have large stacks of WALL-E on DVD (in both the 2-disc & 3-disc sets).

I can only assume that our Best Buy actually did receive a fair number of WALL-E blu's .. but perhaps the majority of them were being 'held' for customers who may have bought them online, via bestbuy.com, and had chosen the 'local store pick-up' option. Though, that's just a theory.

Such are the 'hazards' of shopping for new animated releases in beautiful downtown Burbank .. where one is 'competing' with employees of Disney, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Dic, DreamWorks, and a number of smaller studios. :wink:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 19th, 2008, 12:20 am

Well Droo,

My local Best Buy DIDN'T have the 3-disc version in stock.

I have no idea why! There were tons of the 2-disc Blu-Ray versions (at least 20 out on the shelves) and I got one of those having forgotten that there WAS a digital copy 3-disc Blu-Ray edition.

It just doesn't make sense that the Best Buy had no 3-disc'ers in stock.

However, when I went to Wal-Mart to get a Subway sandwich I checked out the Blu-Ray section. They had at least 8 copies of the 3-disc Blu-Ray version (only difference is the digital copy DVD plus a slip cover that the 2-disc Blu-Ray version doesn't have) and I tell you sometimes it makes you want to pull out your hair!

At least I don't have to go out of my way to return the copy I bought from Best Buy, but there are times I really, really hate this !@#$!@!

The competition for exclusives and stocking rights gets strange at times with these stores. We've seen so many exclusives in the past year to the height of the ridiculousness when Iron Man got released on home video.

I personally prefer buying movies at Best Buy because I generally get a cut on prices and I earn the Reward Zone coupons everytime I buy something there. Sure, I may save a buck or two more at Wal-Mart, but they DON'T reward me with $5, $10, and $20 coupons that I earn by buying there.

Today Best Buy failed me as far as my choices were concerned. It wasn't a malicious thing on their part, but somebody in inventory or ordering screwed up and they probably didn't make some 3-disc sales they could have. Granted, it probably isn't that big a proportion of sales, but there are people like me who like the convenience of portable versions of movies and NOT having to deal with decryption and the voodoo art of getting mp4's to work with your portable players!

Believe me, I've had close to 3 years of trying to figure out the mp4 video film format and Digital Copy is a godsend where I'm concerned..

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2008, 12:23 am

My Wal-mart didn't have any BD's -- said they didn't get a shipment of them. They had tons of the different DVDs. Had to go to Target.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 19th, 2008, 12:27 am

Well one of the commentaries clears up the "real humans" debate. They were stuck with them because of the Hello Dolly clips. Real humans in that video so real humans in all the videos.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 19th, 2008, 1:46 pm

The packaging looks weird,thought over here it might be a simple usual case but I might be wrong.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 7th, 2008, 2:37 am

I saw this WALL-E DVD/Blu-ray advertisement online and thought it was pretty neat:

I wish I could purchase some Christmas cards with that design, to give family members and friends. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » December 7th, 2008, 4:07 am

Josh wrote: Image
That is some lazy ass work there disney.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2008, 8:20 am

With WALL-E just coming out now for the Crimbo buying season, Disney has these posters up <I>everywhere</I> in the UK...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 28th, 2008, 12:17 pm

Funny,althought I wasn't sure if to buy WALL-E on DVD or not I now have it after all,my brother bought it for me as a birthday gift (Anyway I"ll buy TinkerBell and Nightmare Before Christmas very soon).
I really liked the commentary and that Andrew Stanton
said that the film isn't preaching about ecology and etc. but just a movie about a cute robot and the I guess that the humans were a joke.
Burn-E is funny (Thought I don't think it whould take *that* much time to fix that),Presto is lame,WALL-E looks creepy in the Lots Of Bots game (And I didn't saw that thing with the green humans and the deleted scenes on disc 2,the deleted scenes on disc 1 are good).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 28th, 2008, 1:53 pm

Presto is lame? Gee, and here I thought it was fantastic. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 28th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Their shorts are usually good,this one looks like a Blue Sky or maybe a DreamWorks short,I think it's lame IMO.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2008, 2:14 pm

Presto looks like Blue Sky or DreamWorks!?

Ta-daah! We have officially entered The Twilight Zone... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 30th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Sorry,not Blue Sky and DreamWorks,I think it's lame,other shorts like Knick Knack and One Man's Band were much more cleaver and better.
Question-In the Pixar Story feature (Which is about how Pixar and CGI were created and shortly tells small time about Cars,Monsters Inc,A Bug's Life,Finding Nemo and the Toy Story films),the part about the first Toy Story had an animation test back when Woody was an evil puppet and Buzz was tiny and red and he tricked Buzz into trying to fly but got him stuck behind the desk they were on And a few more tests they showed Tom Hanks,they were on the Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition?.