Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 10:27 am

What would the kids look like?

BrundleBee... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 5:27 pm

Ha ha LOL Ben! :lol:

Had to post it! :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 1st, 2007, 7:46 pm

Eww!

;)
ShyViolet wrote:Don't worry, he won't!! :) :wink:
Or will he? J/k ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 12:55 am

I'm sorry, please believe that I'm not trying to sing the same song again and again, (getting hoarse! :)) but I HAD to post this:

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012145

It's about the artist Gustave Dore and how no one has ever tried to animate or emulate him...... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Um......Prince of Egypt was HEAVILY, consciously inspired by Dore....his symmetry and lighting specifically. Lean too of course, but Dore and Monet are major influences. It's been widely written on.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Re: Sanders at DreamWorks

http://www.animated-news.com/2007/sande ... #more-6254

Oh. My. G-d.............. :shock:

Oh my G-d.

I think I just died and went to heaven!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

Oh my G-d.......

I really hope it works out....I can't believe it.......

I hope Chris gets creative freedom here....hope two great (but stubborn) minds can work together well. (Well, they did on Lion King so....:) )

Oh my G-d.

:wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 28th, 2007, 6:56 pm

I know Vi :D !!
I'm glad for Mr Sanders

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 28th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Cool.

Wow, the ultra-Disney-anti-Dreamworks people are gonna love this...:roll:

(Loved your reaction, Vi. Heh heh. :P)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 28th, 2007, 8:19 pm

Thanks Meg!! :wink:

SoleilSmile wrote this on AN:
Oh, poor Disney!
How could they lose Chris!
I remember there was a story going around at the time of the birth of Dreamworks, that DW offered Chris ANY car he could dream of if he would only come and work for them---but Chris stuck to his guns and said that he would NEVER leave Disney because that's where he was meant to be. This was before the hand drawn fall out though.

Wow...

Double wow!!!! :shock:

:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 28th, 2007, 8:31 pm

Triple wow! That is a very interesting story!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by skeezer » March 29th, 2007, 3:07 am

It is said that DreamWorks is a producer driven company. Not a director driven company. At least it used to be that way (the producer is the creative driving force and the director just drives the bus). Somehow I can't imagine Sanders in this role. Unless Katzenburg has suddenly changed his mind on how things work at his studio (I doubt it).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 29th, 2007, 3:18 am

Interesting, skeezer. But still...

Omg!! I'm so happy for, Chris! :D I like DW and all, so this great news!

And Vi, your reaction was priceless! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2007, 8:58 am

:wink:

It is said that DreamWorks is a producer driven company. Not a director driven company. At least it used to be that way (the producer is the creative driving force and the director just drives the bus). Somehow I can't imagine Sanders in this role. Unless Katzenburg has suddenly changed his mind on how things work at his studio (I doubt it).

I think he did give Jerry Seinfeld some independence (Seinfeld is actually the producer of Bee Movie, I think.) Also, despite the tension with Aardman, I think Nick Park had (more or less) free reign on Wallace and Gromit.

But yeah, it is a concern but I think they will find a way to work together....they've done it before on Lion King, each knows what the other is like in a work environment.

I guess we'll see what happens....:wink:

But for now....I'm just ecstatic!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2007, 9:17 am

Here's some info from Disney about the role Chris played on The Lion King, (I think he was one of the Florida people then.)

He was the production designer, and art director too I think.

Another key player on the artistic team was production designer Chris Sanders who was called upon to let his imagination run wild for the film's more fanciful sequences and stylistic departures. His distinctly graphic approach is evident in two of the musical numbers -- "I Just Can't Wait to be King" and "Hakuna Matata" -- as well as in the climactic fight sequence between Scar and Simba.

Sanders, who cites the wacky, abstract title song sequence from Disney's animated "The Three Caballeros" as being a major influence on his desire to become an animator, wanted to experiment with the visuals for "I Just Can't Wait to be King." He recalls, "During this particular song, the animals behave much differently than they do in the rest of the film. I kept thinking that it would be extremely odd if these realistic animals suddenly started singing, dancing and piling on top of each other, so I suggested that we diverge completely, visually, and make it a fantasy so we wouldn't be changing the rules.

"We decided to be as free and relaxed about this sequence as possible and just have fun with it," Sanders continues. "Using many of the natural patterns that we observed in Africa, we set out to create a cub's eye view of the monarchy. From the moment Simba jumps into the scene, the whole landscape dissolves from one world to another. We used brighter colors, bolder shapes and a whole different design approach to make it look different."
You can even buy some of Chris' original Lion King art on ebay!! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lion-King-Series-II ... dZViewItem

You can see a lot of Chris' colorful/zany/visceral style in the I Just Can't Wait to Be King sequence. :)

Property of the Walt Disney Company

You can see the brilliant colors/design in Lilo as well:

Last edited by ShyViolet on April 9th, 2007, 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 30th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Also, I love what was written here: :P

monkeydad

I SO would have taken the Batmobile... [funny]

eboles
Or the Pink Panther-mobile which couldn't possibly be road legal.

But if I totally had carte blanche ... I might just be tempted to go with the Skycar which, as it happens ... kinda looks like something straight out of the Lilo & Stitch universe.

The best bit would be if you got to leave Disney in the thing. "So long suckers! Up up and awaayyyy!"

Also, according to the Animation Guild blog, Sanders might or might not rework the script for Crood Awakening. And that Sherman/Mr. Peabody project being presided over by Rob Minkoff is definitely a go!! :) (So awesome since Rob Minkoff and Sanders were BOTH major players on the Lion King! :) )

Sanders gets Crood at DreamWorks

Daily Variety has reported that Chris Sanders has been signed on to direct Crood Awakenings at DreamWorks. He started on Monday.

Sanders had been at Disney for twenty years, cumulating in his co-direction with Dean De Blois of the Lilo and Stitch feature. He left Disney two months ago due to creative differences over the American Dog project.

Crood Awakenings has a script co-written by John Cleese of "Monty Python"/"Fawlty Towers" fame and Kirk De Micco (Racing Stripes). It was to have a co-production with Aardman Animations, but DreamWorks reclaimed the project after their partnership ended.

Sanders indicated in the article that he may re-work the script, which has a caveman premise. The studio didn't commit to a release date, but Variety speculated on 2010 or 2011.

Sanders is the second Disney alumnus to land at DreamWorks in recent months; Rob Minkoff (Lion King) is developing the Mr. Peabody and Sherman feature as well.

posted by Jeff Massie @ 3/29/2007 01:55:00 PM 0 comments links to this post

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 1st, 2007, 8:01 am

Dreamworks is collecting a lot of great talents lately.
Only good things can come out of that