Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2006, 7:49 pm

RTNL: you just know this is in the works. As I said, they'll add a game, a peek at Tinker Bell and maybe an animated short and call it the Special Edition! :(

Comparison: though I didn't get the SE, Dan, I would go as far as to say that it used the cleaned up master created in the late 1990s.

This new digital clean will be better than that, yes. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 8:21 pm

I'll take your word on it Ben! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Hey, Ben, nice story about the PP DVD at Animated-Views. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 14th, 2006, 2:40 pm

Thanks! I drew from some guy here who was ranting about the lack of *new* features on this a few posts back. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 15th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Haha, he must feel so plagerized ;)

Anyway, I saw the trailer on the Fox and The Hound sequel. And, It doesn't look that much better. :? Granted it was a quick shot, but still...

I'll just wait and see!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 1st, 2007, 4:56 pm

Here's a review on PP from DVD Talk. http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=26351

Bens not gonna be happy. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2007, 10:03 am

Why am I not happy...?

He seems to like the film well enough, and the bonuses were never going to be all-out wowsers.

BUT...where is any mention of the Christmas Show, and how the heck did they get their copy so early... :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 2nd, 2007, 2:12 pm

That's why, because of the lack of Christmas show. That's what sold you, right? :?

However, there's still a chance it might end up on UK edition, so hope, Ben! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2007, 7:43 am

Except I only buy US discs and wouldn't get the UK version just for that. I'd be tempted when it came up in a sale, but we should have gotten this as promised on the US disc...

Grrrrrrrrr...

Hopefully, he missed the entry and didn't spot it!? After saying the contents were "worthy of a Platinum", it sure doesn't seem like it without that show. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 3rd, 2007, 1:43 pm

I tried to look at the review and it wasn't there. Maybe they posted it too soon and Disney made them take it down?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 3rd, 2007, 2:39 pm

Wow, that's weired. I just tried it to, and nope its gone. Eh, don't worry you didn't miss much, eddie. ;)

Oops, sorry, Ben. I could've sworn you only bought the US discs on rare occasions. :? In any case, its highly doubtful the critic missed it. Even though the critique was very bland, it seems he acknowleged everything, save for the exact details on the games.

But hey, it could happen. UD is sure to know in a few weeks, so I'll let you know if anything arises! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 6th, 2007, 3:51 pm

Ben wrote:I <I>was</I> holding back! ;)

But that's not really on, is it? Adding a second disc of footage that's at least 80-85%, if not more, been previously available?

I'm hoping the "You Can Fly" segment is more than the 15-20 minute general piece we got created for the LD and that appeared on the SE. If it's not some 50 minute upgrade, this doesn't deserve the Platinum badge.

I'll be honestly truthful, Ben.

I WAS kind of hoping Disney would port over a LOT MORE of the special features from the LD releases IN ADDITION to never-before-seen to the publlic extras. I also wish that in more than one case we got the ORIGINAL versions of these films released to DVD (Beauty & the Beast, The Lion King, Lady & The Tramp, Fantasia) instead of reworked special editions. It's a travesty that Disney management felt animation had to be retweaked and scenes cut for silly politically correct purposes.

I also don't think we got the best Snow White on DVD, either. The LD release had a far superior restoration that DIDN'T remove all the film grain, tweak the color, and make the film look like a direct-to-video release. Travesty. A far bigger shame than re-releasing old extras in my opinion.

Those LDs won't last forever. There are already stories of LDs rotting from the inside-out and goodness knows some of the Disney LDs released in the US had lousy video quality anyway. In fact, in more than a few cases the Japanese LDs were far superior in quality!

I don't know. I guess I see this differently. Yes, I do own many of the LDs ALREADY, but this stuff isn't getting younger and my LD player won't hold out forever. I'm already making plans to port over some material to DVD when I figure out HOW to record this stuff to the format but I'm also glad a professional re-release job is being done with some of these extras.

I can't fault you on being upset with Disney on some of their DVD issues, however. Goodness knows that I don't think they've been perfect, either, and that many of the 2-disc releases within the past few years just don't justify having a second disc in those packs! Still, Disney is by far the best home video company when it comes to how they treat MOST of their animated releases.

It's sad how WB continues to treat their creme-of-the-crop theatrical shorts (Tom & Jerry, Tex Avery, arguably Looney Tunes) while they give the deluxe treatment to the H-B TV series which frankly don't merit that consideration in my honest opinion. Sure, the early 1960s H-B TV series are fun stuff, but they're really the equivalent of junk food when you get down to it. The WB animation gourmet selections are STILL the theatrical Looney Tunes, Tex Avery, and original MGM Tom & Jerry shorts. That stuff shouldn't be treated like red-headed stepchildren as it is now. I still don't get all the excitement and extra care given by WB to Scooby-Doo when that is by far the most overrated H-B TV series ever!

At least Disney understands its theatrical features are really the lifesblood and greatest animation legacy of the company. Now, if only they'd release the REST of the animated shorts that they began releasing with the Treasures sets...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 7th, 2007, 12:34 am

GeorgeC wrote:
I still don't get all the excitement and extra care given by WB to Scooby-Doo when that is by far the most overrated H-B TV series ever!
Finally, something we agree on!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2007, 9:45 am

I'm just hoping WB treats Popeye right.

And yes, I'd have loved to have seen more LD porting. Pocahontas' set wasn't bad, but The Lion King?

Yep, the DTV colors on some of those restorations suck big time too. I am much more a fan of the LD Bambi than of the DVD. I'd agree on Snow White's colors too, but the LD is super-soft when compared.

I'd love to do a conversion of this material, but am essentially waiting until HD recordability as I don't see the point in degrading the LD quality anymore by going to single, or even double, layer compressed DVDs, even at best quality.

If I had the time, I'd back all my LDs up to my DigiBeta for "master" quality, and then work out what to do with those tapes! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2007, 5:45 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!