Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » May 4th, 2007, 3:30 am

Patrick, guess they mixed up your avatar and my signature :D

Anyway, the movie still look exciting to me and I can't wait for everyone to see the teaser trailer I saw at the exhibit in March!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 4th, 2007, 3:43 am

Patrick, guess they mixed up your avatar and my signature
Exactly :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » May 4th, 2007, 4:35 am

Kinoo wrote:Patrick, guess they mixed up your avatar and my signature :D
that must be it. love those birds :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2007, 9:03 am

It's funny this, isn't it?

It's Disney...being made by Disney...animated by one of the great modern Disney animators...but it doesn't <I>feel</I> Disney.

To me it doesn't even feel like a Disney DTV. I'm not talking <I>quality</I> but just the look. Seems to feel like one of the many 1990s Disney knock-offs that came streaming out.

I await seeing some proper sequences with baited breath, but it doesn't have the "classic" feel to me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 4th, 2007, 10:21 am

That's how I feel about it...Maybe I'll change my mind when I see it moving. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 5th, 2007, 4:09 am

Ben wrote:To me it doesn't even feel like a Disney DTV. I'm not talking <I>quality</I> but just the look. Seems to feel like one of the many 1990s Disney knock-offs that came streaming out.

I await seeing some proper sequences with baited breath, but it doesn't have the "classic" feel to me.
I know what you mean - I like Susan Sarandon's character design but the one picture of Giselle and the prince seems kind of awkward, cheesy even.

But honestly, I am so excited for this movie. 2D on the big screen! A musical! I wouldn't admit it to anyone I know, but this is probably the movie I'm looking forward to most this year :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2007, 10:57 am

So...you don't <I>know</I> us? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2007, 2:38 pm

It's Disney...being made by Disney...animated by one of the great modern Disney animators...but it doesn't feel Disney.
I definitely consider this Disney in every way as well but...isn't James Baxter's animation studio technically separate from WDFA, even though he's working for them?

Ahh, why can't they bring him back permanently? :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Because he's running his own studio now. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2007, 3:43 pm

OK, but how many films has he got in the works, other than doing animation for Enchanted? As we've seen in the past, "having your own studio" independently without some MAJOR muscle is very, very, very hard. I wish James well of course, but seriously, how much of a chance does he have to compete with the "big" studios like Disney-Pixar/DW//Blue Sky etc...

If he's optioned under Disney to do work for them, well then, why doesn't he just go back there permanently???
Baxter belongs in Disney--at Disney. Plain and simple. :wink:

Everything's so crazy now. It's like, James Baxter isn't officially in Disney but he's doing Feature Animation. Pixar is very much officially part of Disney, but they're seriously thinking of doing live-action.

Am I the only one who is befuddled by this?? :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2007, 4:35 pm

If he's optioned under Disney to do work for them, well then, why doesn't he just go back there permanently???
Baxter belongs in Disney--at Disney. Plain and simple.
So what happens to everyone else who works at his studio if Baxter goes back to Disney?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2007, 12:42 am

Well...(just my theory anyway. :wink:)

I would imagine Disney might need a few extra people who actually still remember how to do 2d. Anyway, aren't all of Baxter's animators (I could be wrong) ex-Disney people anyway?

(Not that the people at Disney now couldn't do traditional, since some of them already are, but for the most part they've mostly been doing 3d, or at least have been told to focus on that.)

I know Disney's all like: Traditional every 3 or 4 years now, but maybe if Enchanted and FG do well, they'll want to make more?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2007, 3:56 am

I'm so glad Julie Andrews is narrating it!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2007, 4:08 am

Also, I know this is a hard subject to broach but I seriously hope that the "WDFA film every three/four years" thing (whether or not they're 2d, 3d, stop motion, motion capture, live action/animated like Enchanted what have you) doesn't go through. I think it's a terrible idea.

I know Disney/Pixar made it sound like "oh we just want to build anticipation" or "it's only so the quality improves" but....let's just think about this for a minute.

This is the dark ages we're talking about here. When Eisner & co came in 1984 one of the first things they realized was that animators had VERY LITTLE TO DO. True, this was partly 'cause of the "creative stagnancy" of the Ron Miller days, but also 'cause the whole "animated classic once in a blue moon" thing was NOT working out for the modern movie/video age. Simply put: Disney was not compatible with the 1980's. The Eisner regime brought them up to speed--sure, "Bigger, better, faster, cheaper,"(one film a year) is mocked to no end now, but hey, here's a not-so-secret secret--it's a big part of what brought Disney back to greatness in the first place.

True with all the problems in recent years it got out of hand, but--it was all about making sure Disney came out on top, and not some other company.

Doing this is a terrible mistake. At least I think so. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2007, 8:35 am

Doing what?

Making traditional animated films...or not. :(