Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 20th, 2007, 12:25 pm

I agree. Like the mirror idea, too! :)

Although I'm absolutely certain that the quality of the film itself is much better, the poster kinda looks like something out of A Disney Channel Original Movie or ABC Family.....:(

Not a good way to play this up.....:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 20th, 2007, 12:29 pm

I wish I lived in France right now.
But really, I do think in time the "animated" poster will be available as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm

On the plus side, that's a really nice-looking logo. :)

Seriously .. it's much more satisfying than the 'single-color standard sans-serif block-fonts' used for the likes of Meet the Robinsons, The Simpsons Movie, or Bee Movie logos.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 20th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Prince Kido wrote: (Il Etait Une Fois... is the french title)
So .. literally, "Once Upon A Time" ..? :shock: It's hard to believe there aren't already a dozen movies with that title in France. :o

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 21st, 2007, 10:51 am

I got a new favorite Disney Princess: Amy Adams!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2007, 2:19 pm

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2007, 11:43 pm

EW does Enchanted! :) (Fall movie preview)

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2005136 ... 39,00.html

Thanks to wdwmagic.com! :wink:

EDIT: Took another look at it--ALL ABOUT THE STARS, almost nothing on Kevin Lima OR any of the animators, (James Baxter Who?) or "animation" (one sentence with it). One sentence on Alan Menken. Very MTV-type article.

Typical EW....:roll:

Double Edit: THIS sentence: :?

''I like the fact that they've taken all these iconic fairy-tale romantic images and put a little spin on them,'' says Sarandon. ''And they have the heroine solving her own problems.'' So much for the handsome prince riding in on a white horse to save the day. ''I'm basically just the straight man in this movie,'' says Dempsey.

OK, I'm sorry, you have GOT to be kidding me. :roll: "Putting a spin" on fairy tales? Hasn't that already been done to death since Shrek 1? The heroine "solving her own problems"? Didn't we already get that in Shrek the Third and Happily 'Never After? (not that I'm lumping them together)
I think audiences have shown that they want there to be A HERO again, real romance, the way films used to be.

I'm all for feminism and all but sometimes it's nice for the prince to actually save the princess. You know, "for a change." :?

This sounds like more of the same to me....:( UGH!!
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 11th, 2007, 8:32 am

Actually, we got spins on fairy tales LONG before Shrek. ("Shrek 1" is a film that doesn't actually exist). There were Jay Ward's Fractured Fairy Tales and Disney's Totally Twisted Fairy Tales, which were already doing the Shrek thing before Katzandco moved on.

Also, why not lump Shrek The Third and Happily N'Ever After together? They both used exactly the same story.

And I think Enchanted will be spoofing more the fairytale <I>movie</I> rather than what Shrek does, which is to meld and spoof the <I>characters</I>.

Enchanted still feels like it will be fresh enough...I hope the marketing can cope. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 11th, 2007, 12:37 pm

I've seen the trailer in front of two different movies and both times the audience seemed enthusiastic. We'll have to see if Disney can take the trailer (which is a very effective one) and use that momentum to keep the film in the public's mind.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 11th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Actually, we got spins on fairy tales LONG before Shrek. ("Shrek 1" is a film that doesn't actually exist). There were Jay Ward's Fractured Fairy Tales and Disney's Totally Twisted Fairy Tales, which were already doing the Shrek thing before Katzandco moved on.
Oh right, I know what you mean (also didn't Loony Toons kind of do that with Red Hot Riding Hood and Bugs Bunny on occasion?) but I guess I was just thinking "big animated feature"--wise.
Also, why not lump Shrek The Third and Happily N'Ever After together? They both used exactly the same story.
Well, story quality aside (let's not get into that! :P) I think the least you can say is the STT's animation was better....? :)

And I think Enchanted will be spoofing more the fairytale movie rather than what Shrek does, which is to meld and spoof the characters.
Interesting....I guess the characters in E do kind of have a "purity" and storybook quality about them that the Shrek characters had less of. :? (at least by the third time around.)

Enchanted still feels like it will be fresh enough...I hope the marketing can cope. Sad

Oh boy, I sure hope so too. Maybe if they at least made an effort....:roll: :twisted:
I've seen the trailer in front of two different movies and both times the audience seemed enthusiastic

That's good to hear. :) I think one thing that would be great for those spots is to showcase one of Alan Menken's songs!!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Prince Kido » September 20th, 2007, 3:39 am

Some new links for Enchanted!!!!
First one is the french official website which has just opened :
http://disney.fr/FilmsDisney/iletaitunefois/
Second is a featurette shown on DisneyChannel on prince Edward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y23Bf0P- ... my%2DAdams
And finally and exclusive first look found on Msn!!! Enjoy!!
movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=2061099
[url=http://davidgilson.blogspot.com/][img]http://davidgilson.free.fr/petitpoulet/banblog2.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2007, 8:54 am

Y'know..."Once Upon A Time" might well be the preferable title for this... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » September 20th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Glad people are getting excited about the movie.

To those scouring the web for info, thanks for posting links to sites as they pop up.

As far as people concerned about "more of the same" issue, I have this to say. I think the movie is different. First of all, the comedic send up is more specific to Disney animated princess movies than generic fairy tale send-ups in Shrek. For example, the big musical numbers work in the context of the Enchanted story, but also send up the big musical numbers in Beauty, Mermaid etc. Giselle has an animal sidekick which is Disney princess inspired. Giselle sings when words alone cannot convey her feeling. Another Disney princess convention. (Which is really a musical theater convention, of course!)

As far as seeing the strong princess story before--I don't think the only point of the story is to show Giselle being "strong" and self sufficient. That IS part of it, but the more important lesson here is that the best kind of love is not simple. I think here, one of the main themes is REAL love is better than some idealized fairy tale love that is just a 2-dimensional idea. This theme is important to the film in a lot of ways. For one, it is a key reason that the opening animation is 2-D and not cg.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 20th, 2007, 10:32 pm

Oh wow, that's great. That really reassures me. :) I guess Sarandon's take was just more "sales talk" :roll:

It sounds like you're close to the production surfnspy. Did you work on the film? If so, that's awesome!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 20th, 2007, 11:12 pm

That, or its just a very good defensive opinion... Hard to say.

Either way, welcome, surfnspy! :)