Spider-Man 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 4th, 2007, 3:52 am

Yes,

I've seen Spider-Man 3 already. I caught it at a 12:02 AM screening this Friday.

Horrible film? No. Great film? No.

Lousy, wandering script that goes all over the place and embarrasses you with bad dialogue and thrown-in scenes? YES!

That said, the action sequences are great and both Bryce Howard and James Franco shine in the film.

If there any two players that suffer by comparison, they're Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. The script doesn't help Maguire and his performance is as all-over the place as his lines. Dunst's MJ really doesn't get the better of the film (the female star is Gwen in spite of Howard's relatively brief screen time) and you really begin to hate MJ in places. Granted, Dunst was never the best fit for the character but the script really did MJ a disservice.

I really can't say much about these characters other than if you've read the comics or have seen the 90's animated Spider-Man TV series you pretty much know where the film is headed and how it ends.

Yes, this is the weakest Spider-Man film of the whole trilogy and it looks like #2 is once again the best film in a trilogy. It would really be best if the series got retired now and another live-action Spider-Man were not attempted until many years from now. In the meantime, a feature-quality animated Spider-Man might not be a bad thing and more faithful translations of the character designs would be more possible in traditional animation.

Such things will probably not happen with the Powers-That-Be at Sony and Marvel Comics wanting to drain the last bucks from a way overhyped, overexposed series. Part of Peter Parker's endless hapless life is that his caretakers don't know when to quit while they're ahead!

Please, just keep the Raimi Brothers, Brian Michael Bendis, and J. Michael Stracynzski away from future Spider-Man scripts! If anything, the last two names in the list have proven they're more than capable of beating the worst ideas written on paper to death.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 4th, 2007, 7:03 am

Jeroen wrote:Nope, that didn't happen in the movie :)
Dang.

Maybe for number four!... :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2007, 9:05 am

I'm moving this to the other Spidey 3 thread we have since that's go on to talk about the movie anyway.

Please keep Spidey 3 chat in here, thanks! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2007, 9:06 am

May the Fourth be with you. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 4th, 2007, 3:25 pm

Couldn't resist again, huh? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 4th, 2007, 5:55 pm

I think I might have to wait till next week to see this (outside circumstances) but I feel so bad, as I was the one who wanted to do that whole "Spidey chat" thing.....:( :oops:

You guys should go ahead and do it, though, if you still want. :wink: (I mean the chat)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 4th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I was going to try and go tonight but the reviews scared me off, for today at least. :?

My brothers' senior class (he graduates today, ugh) went to see the midnight showing, and apparently they hated it...Don't trust me on that though, my brother tends to exaggerate. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2007, 6:29 pm

Again? You mean the front page?

Actually, I wrote that here and then thought it would make a good <I>Tooning In...</I> header! ;)

But...you're right...I couldn't ever resist that one!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 4th, 2007, 7:04 pm

Yup, the front page, Ben. :)

Oh, I see. Cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 5th, 2007, 12:00 am

I haven't seen it yet (have to wait until I get paid again) but everything I've read seems to suggest that you'll either really like the film or really hate it and there don't seem to be many opinions in between. I know I'm gonna love it because A) It's Marvel! They haven't done a bad movie yet (at least not since Blade got the ball rolling). B) It's Spider-Man! There have been so many different interpretations of the character that he's almost impossible to screw up at this point (although, one man's meat is another man's poison it seems). and C) It's Venom! The coolest villain in Spidey's cast and one of the all time coolest villains period. How can anyone who dares to call themselves a comics fan possibly be disappointed? The only explanation is that they must not have been much of a fan to begin with. Just my two cents.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2007, 7:40 am

That's the spirit! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 5th, 2007, 8:06 am

How can anyone who dares to call themselves a comics fan possibly be disappointed?
I'm a big Spiderman fan!! Even though I liked the movie, I was more dissapointed as a fan then as a moviegoer.
It's Venom! The coolest villain in Spidey's cast and one of the all time coolest villains period.
Venom is cool....but he hardly gets any screentime .(Eddie Brock's venom, not black spidey)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2007, 10:47 am

I've heard that...that Venom "proper" only comes into the picture for the final fight.

The basic thought seems to be a great summer blockbuster popcorn movie that's not as good as the second and slightly overlong, with one too many villains.

My <I>feeling</I> is that they should have set Venom up at the end to be the major villain in a part 4, but my <I>guess</I> is that they needed to bring him into the mix here to make the marketing different and the franchise to seem fresh and new. After all, how many Sandman posters are out there as opposed to all the pics of black-Spidey?

And when you take black-Spidey away, could you really tell any difference between the images for 3 against the many variations that went out for the first and 2?

Anyhoo...seeing it tonight. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2007, 12:44 am

My brothers' senior class (he graduates today, ugh) went to see the midnight showing Razz

Hey, congrats to him! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 6th, 2007, 6:35 am

Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I personally feel that bringing in Gwen Stacy would be a colossal error that the film series might never recover from. Don't get me wrong, I am a Spider-Man freak, but think of it like this: in the movies, Mary Jane is the love of Peter's life and the only woman he has ever wanted to be with. At the end of SM2, after much soap opera, they finally got together. The entire point of the last scene is that Mary Jane knows she'll be in danger now that they're together, but she's willing to take that risk because she loves him. Now that he finally has his dream girl, why on earth would Peter ever want to jeopardize that? Especially since MJ knows who he is and GS does not? At this point in the movie chronology, a love triangle with Peter MJ and Gwen would be completely out of character. Do you get what I'm saying?

EddieValient wrote this some months ago and way before the film came out....Although I can't speak for the film since I haven't seen it yet, I think it makes a lot of sense....I think it could also be why the critics (some of them) are giving this a lukewarm reaction....even though, from what I can see,

Very Mild spoilers
The general consensus with many critics is that both Kirsten and Toby are so-so, it's Topher and Bryce (love these Hollywood names! :wink:) who are the real standouts of the film. (one critic even wrote that he could actually easily see Topher as Spidey. :) I kind of agree. :wink: )