Spider-Man 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 6th, 2007, 8:26 am

Check out how much Spidey 3 made on opening day!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2307&p=s.htm

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 6th, 2007, 12:38 pm

I know. That's a fortune.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2007, 12:47 pm

Just finished typing up my notes, so check the Views front page for my thoughts on Spidey 3 tomorrow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 6th, 2007, 1:21 pm

The general consensus with many critics is that both Kirsten and Toby are so-so, it's Topher and Bryce (love these Hollywood names! ) who are the real standouts of the film.
And yet I read a review in a local paper that said it was Tobey that saved the film! :P Looks like this is one you have to see for yourself, I guess...I'm going to try and make it next weekend.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 6th, 2007, 1:30 pm

I saw it opening day.

The action sequences are AWESOME!!!

Sit up close to get the full impact of them. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2007, 2:09 pm

I actually found myself wishing I were sat further <I>back</I>!

The opening Spidey/Goblin battle...I couldn't see what was going on apart from that everything looked fake.

Full details...and more...tomorrow... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 6th, 2007, 2:56 pm

I saw it last night, and tend to agree with the critical concensus. It doesn't live up to the previous two, but it's still a pretty decent superhero film--- when compared to Fantastic Four, Elektra, Superman Returns, and so forth. I think it pretty much follows the Star Wars Trilogy formula of "Great initial film, awesome second film, then good but not great film to close it off".

The action scenes didn't read as well as they could've, and neither MJ or Peter were too likeable for much of the film, but then there were reasons for that. Gwen was fine, though she came in two movies too late. (Having MJ in high school with Peter right off the bat just screwed things up from the standpoint of the original comics continuity.) I liked Harry's arc, and was quite fine with how they used Venom and Sandman (though one particular storyline was left without resoultion).

It felt like they had done all the best stuff in the first two films, with little room to progress. Peter already became a hero, and got the girl, so where else could they go without going somewhere they wouldn't want to go in a movie. (It's different with monthly comics, compared to a film series that only gets a new chapter every few years.) So, we got a more standard superhero movie this time out.

Grading wise, I'd give it maybe 7 out of 10. I'm forgiving of the melodrama, the coincidences, the logic laspses, and tonal changes, as the director is plugged into "comic book storytelling" (for better or worse) and for me it works most of the time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 6th, 2007, 3:32 pm

Meg wrote:Check out how much Spidey 3 made on opening day!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2307&p=s.htm
Pretty much what I expected.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2007, 4:29 pm

Funny what Rand said about Star Wars...(bet he peeked at what I will be setting live tomorrow)...

;) Just joking, mon amigo, but it seems we're thinking along the same lines on this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 6th, 2007, 10:55 pm

Ben wrote:Funny what Rand said about Star Wars...(bet he peeked at what I will be setting live tomorrow)...

;) Just joking, mon amigo, but it seems we're thinking along the same lines on this one.
... as usual, eh?

(And nope, I didn't peek. :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2007, 8:54 am

My take is now up on the front page of <I>ANIMATED VIEWS</I>...

...or click here for a direct archive link:
http://animated-views.com/2007/spideys-tangled-web/

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 7th, 2007, 9:50 am

In lieu of the hearty snack the first provided and the full, main-course meal enjoyed with 2, think of this one as the desert: over-puffed and delicious looking, but simply stocked too full with lots of empty cinematic calories.
That's a fantastic way of putting it Ben :D, I totally agree with that statement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 8th, 2007, 3:07 am

Some interesting views on Spidey 3 (spoiler-heavy)

http://www.animationnation.com/ubb/ulti ... 1;t=012305

I haven't seen it yet, so I skimmed to the end of your review Ben, but I will read it ASAP (after I watch the film. ) :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2007, 8:11 am

Interesting comments...pretty much what I said.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 8th, 2007, 7:47 pm

I want to read everything so bad, but I don't want to spoil the film....:?

This weekend, hopefully. :)

Also, I was really surprised when some less-than-positive reviews of Spidey 3 started coming in to RT....especially since the trailers wowed me so much.

However, now I can kind of see how it might have its flaws, even though I haven't seen it yet. It still bugs me that Pete would suddenly go for Gwen Stacey after he tried so hard to get MJ, and that MJ would suddenly go for Harry....? :?:

And even though Spidey 2 ROCKED ROCKED ROCKED, (I can watch it anytime) some stuff in that film, while very compelling, was somewhat heavy-handed and even came dangerously close to being preachy several times.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!