Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 20th, 2006, 6:16 pm

One of my favorite lines in Toy Story 2 was Ham saying "There is no way he gets this kind of mileage."

Not... really anything to do with the topic that much, just thought of mentioning it =P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 20th, 2006, 8:36 pm

I think the strength of Shrek is that it IS a send-up. There's nothing wrong with sending stuff up in a send-up.

It's a fractured fairy-tale. Somewhere in animator heaven, Jay Ward is laughing his A** off at Shrek.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 21st, 2006, 7:59 am

Over the Hedge makes fun of middle-class American Suburbia....which has prevalently existed in America since the 1940s.
But Vi, not everyone grew up in the suburbs of America. Those who grew up in the city or other countries will not get it or will be left out cold.

Anyway, just want to say something about pop-culture references...

I think there's a difference between a pop-culture reference and a spoof. For example, in Madagascar where the Statue of Liberty is burning and Alex shouts "Darn you all to heck!", that's a spoof. But when Marty says, "You don't see THAT on Animal Planet!", that's a pop-culture reference. Shrek was more of a spoof movie but Shrek 2 seemed to be saturated with pop-culture references.
Not saying I was, but some people might be. How "timeless" is something that is deliberately satrizing stuff from forty years ago?
I wasn't born then, and it didn't bother me any.

We need to get back on topic. Every thread we make on Pixar or one of their films seems to turn into a 'let's flame Pixar' thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » March 21st, 2006, 1:26 pm

Well then, I should say that The Incredibles is as close to perfect as a movie gets.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 21st, 2006, 2:10 pm

Back to the topic here's a beautiful french teaser poster:

http://pixarroom.free.fr/PreviewCARS
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » March 21st, 2006, 2:48 pm

Very nice indeed :) Thanks!
Last edited by Kaszubas on March 21st, 2006, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 21st, 2006, 2:49 pm

I really wish there was a higher rez of this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2006, 3:10 pm

It'll come Mac...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 21st, 2006, 3:18 pm

I'll have to agree with Mac on this one. I love looking at posters with tons of characters on them in hi-res, very cool.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2006, 4:58 pm

Wow. "Cars" looks like it has enough characters to fill up four movies.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2006, 5:34 pm

We need to get back on topic. Every thread we make on Pixar or one of their films seems to turn into a 'let's flame Pixar' thing.
I didn't mean to flame them. Sorry if it came off this way.
But when Marty says, "You don't see THAT on Animal Planet!", that's a pop-culture reference.

True, and I wasn't so crazy about that line. Fortunately there wasn't much of that in the film.

I get your points Meg... :wink: Actually, I didn't grow up in the suburbs either...far from it...(Brooklyn)..I just meant, like, in a general sense.

Anyway...I'll say something nice now....I'm soooooo awed by those images. I think the summer is the PERFECT time to release a movie like this, summer + cars just mesh together perfectly! :)

"Le Monde de Nemo"--Wow, Finding Nemo was called "Nemo's World" in French? Trippy. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2006, 5:46 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Wow. "Cars" looks like it has enough characters to fill up four movies.
Good, 'cause you know what's coming now Disney can order up all the Pixar sequels (Pixuels? See what I did there?) they want... ;)

BTW Meg, about your sig... I know that's Jim Hill, but to be honest, if I go see two movies this summer, they'll be "Cars" and "Pirates 2"! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 21st, 2006, 5:56 pm

No "Superman Returns"?

I'd see that over "Cars" at this point.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 21st, 2006, 6:02 pm

I didn't grow up in the suburbs either
I actually don't have a problem with it being placed in the 'burbs. In fact, I live in the suburbs, and they're

SO

BORING.
Wow. "Cars" looks like it has enough characters to fill up four movies.
Hey, just look at Finding Nemo. There has to be at least 30 named characters in that movie! :O
Fortunately there wasn't much of that in the film.
Yeah, I liked that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 21st, 2006, 6:09 pm

Hey, just look at Finding Nemo. There has to be at least 30 named characters in that movie! :O
Well if you count ALL the bugs in Bug's Life, that's about 200! :P

Prince of Egypt also had about 100 separate and unique characters on display, or something like that.
No "Superman Returns"?

I'd see that over "Cars" at this point.
Yeah, I'm mostly stoked over Superman and Over the Hedge. Cars looks like a lot of fun so I'll probably go see that too--but Bryan Singer is THE MAN.

Pirates looks very neat as well. Is Orlando Bloom going to be in it again?

X3 looks awesome. Except that once again I hate Storm's hair and what the heck happened to her African accent from the first film????
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 21st, 2006, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!