Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » April 27th, 2007, 7:37 pm

That's the impression I got. Brad doesn't like to be boxed in. He wants to do what he wants to do and will do anything within his power to get it, it seems. Like when he said that The Incredibles was probably going to be a PG to John Lasseter, and John said that films can be made into G's, Brad wouldn't stand for it. He wanted to let the film be what it wanted to be.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 27th, 2007, 11:27 pm

I agree, and I do think Brad wanted that action sequence in, because, like the article said, that's what a conventional movie would have had (read: a "movie-movie" or live-action film, not an "animated" one.)

But like Bird said, the Ratatouille story that had been developed (and not by him) had certain ideas that were conceived beforehand and Pixar wanted to stick to that, not cave into Brad's impulses as a filmmaker.

He wants to do what he wants to do and will do anything within his power to get it, it seems. Like when he said that The Incredibles was probably going to be a PG to John Lasseter, and John said that films can be made into G's, Brad wouldn't stand for it

Exactly, and I don't mean to sound negative here, but from my impression of the otherwise very superior Incredibles, Brad apparently did stand for it, because it really felt like the climactic action sequence with the Omniroid robot had been longer, scarier and more intense--and was later toned down. It seems like Brad had to make compromises like this on Ratatouille as well.

Let's look at the quote again:

Still, Mr. Bird confessed that pure invention can be “scary” even for those at Pixar. The director pointed, for instance, to a moment in “Ratatouille” when he felt compelled to forgo a climactic action sequence that was demanded by conventional movie logic, but that did not fit the story he and his peers had invented. “You have to let the movie be what it wants to be,” he said.

Yet that can be easier, he added, than trying to follow in the tracks of the audience. “When you just make something you want to see,” he said, “it becomes very simple.”

It's exactly like with the whole Chris Sanders/Stephen Anderson thing: Brad is just mouthing words that don't correspond to what has actually happened, or even what they're telling us.

Brad said he felt "compelled to forgo" the sequence, but it sounds to me more like he was told to abandon it. Then he says, well, it was all about making it a better movie, it was what we all wanted, etc....uh huh. It's like John Lassetter telling Stephen Anderson: "Make the movie you want. Tell your story," and then telling him to rework more than a major portion of it...:?
(It just that it makes no sense. "Make the movie YOU want to see....let it be what it wants....but "pure invention" apparently has limited uses, so you better stick to the script...:?)

It just....doesn't gel. :(
Last edited by ShyViolet on April 28th, 2007, 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2007, 12:29 am

Remy wrote:Yeah I'm a big Remy fan, And Thanks!!! :D
No problem! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » April 28th, 2007, 2:24 pm

Last edited by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR on April 28th, 2007, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 28th, 2007, 2:40 pm

I like the new character pics,
especially the one with Remy kicking the olive to Emile.
and finally....some wallpapers :D

I still don't understand the appeal of Myspace though.
Last edited by Jeroen on April 28th, 2007, 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Aww, how cute! I espicially like the character bios and the new pics.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 29th, 2007, 5:06 am

I know this hasn't been brought up in a LONG time, but I checked IMDB and David Schwimmer is definetely not in the film....so who's playing "brother rat"? (don't know the name.:wink:)

Also, Peter O'Toole is in the movie!! Wow!!!!! :shock: :shock:

It's so weird to think he's in animated film!! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 29th, 2007, 5:12 am

so who's playing "brother rat"?
You mean Emile? He's voiced by Peter Sohn, an animator/artist at Pixar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 29th, 2007, 5:24 am

Oh, OK. Thanks Jeroen! :)

I'm just wondering: why did they dump David Schimmer? I didn't think he was that bad.

Was he just too "recognizable" or something?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » April 29th, 2007, 6:10 am

did they even have David Schwimmer in the first place? Maybe Peter Sohn just sounds a lot like him.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2007, 6:25 am

ShyViolet wrote:Peter O'Toole is in the movie!! Wow!!!!! :shock: :shock:
It's so weird to think he's in animated film!! :)
What, like "The Nutcracker Prince"?

I hope, at least, it's better than the Sherlock Holmes animated TV movies done in the early 1980s! ;)

Banned
Banned

Post by Remy » April 29th, 2007, 4:13 pm

OMG that is so awesome I love all of the new pictures thanks alot JV!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » April 30th, 2007, 4:03 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 30th, 2007, 4:41 pm

Great!! I'm so excited about Ratatouille!!
Lots of new footage there,
this is the first time we actually see footage of the rats on the farm, isn't it?
Last edited by Jeroen on April 30th, 2007, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » April 30th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Yeah it is. :D
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]