Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 18th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Wow, did not know that! Thank goodness, I hate those latches - espicially when the case has a slipcover!

To continue from where James left off, I also like that they're blue! :) One of my favorite colors and it just looks cool.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » March 18th, 2008, 11:33 pm

Thanks James. I guess the background is supposed to be...misty blue waterall?

Yes, Once Upon A Dream, of course Giselle should fight for her happily ever after, but suddenly going up against a dragon when she's had little experience with anything so dangerous...it's a stretch.

Oh, well Ben, glad you're glad just to see your dream come true! And I guess Jeremie did all the interviewig. Good for him.
Daniel wrote:To continue from where James left off, I also like that they're blue! :) One of my favorite colors and it just looks cool.
Well, yes, BLUE for BLU-ray, which uses a BLUE laser to read the discs.

I do hope that now the format war's over, the Blu-rayness will not cover the cover so much, and allow as much movie-related art as possible. Glad they got rid of the silver arc covering up so much before!

EDIT: Okay, I just read the review, and Ben, you still had the same complaints as before, with no mention of them changing after you read what I said. So now I only have a few things to say.

Firstly, actual animals from other Disney features would not fit, because every, every single Disney reference was only a reference, never the exact thing. Using the actual animals would not be in keeping with the film's choice to have it's own stylization of the Disney style. They purposely made Andalasia's world based on art nouveau, and so all the animals were styled that way.

Secondly, the ratio change. You had a problem with it changing in the dark. Well, wouldn't the transformtion happening in the dark actually be better as it hides the transformation? Think about it. It's 1.66, then in darkness, and then we realize it's 2.40:1 only when it's bright again in the city lights! As for the later animated segments being 2.40:1, couldn't that be homage to how Disney's animation started in 1.66, then went to 2.40:1 later?

Thirdly...Giselle realizing she's no longer a cartoon. That's something only the audience should know, I feel. Like I said, I think the animation changing to live-action should be thought of more similarly to how the colors change from faded and gloomy to bright and sunny in Mrs. Lovett's dream of being "By The Sea" in Sweeeny Todd. Not that their fairy tale world is actually flat, or even that it's not real.

I do like however that you said the film felt as 2-D as the animation. Ha! That's what they get for trying to say the old 2-D films needed more dimensional characters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Enchanted

Post by Daniel » March 19th, 2008, 1:37 am

Dusterian wrote:Well, yes, BLUE for BLU-ray, which uses a BLUE laser to read the discs.
Technically it's violet (or blue-violet), Duster. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2008, 6:26 am

Reading what other people say doesn't change my opinions, Dusty! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2008, 6:40 am

So...<I>Enchanted</I> has been out for a whole day now! Who got theirs, and on what format, and what are your Animated Views?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 19th, 2008, 9:23 am

I'm giving in and going to buy the DVD today I think at either Target or Best Buy. I can't wait for a 2disc edition, who knows how long it will be before it comes out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 19th, 2008, 11:47 am

Well I planned on getting it when it came out... however, there's this little thing that takes priority that's going to put Enchanted on hold for a bit: http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/meta ... index.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Enchanted

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 19th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Dusterian wrote: Yes, Once Upon A Dream, of course Giselle should fight for her happily ever after, but suddenly going up against a dragon when she's had little experience with anything so dangerous...it's a stretch..
I see your point,she didn't really done such a thing before (and getting rid of a troll isn't the same as stabing a dragon) but still,she should have stabed her more and kill Narrisa,at least she saved Robert :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » March 19th, 2008, 3:06 pm

Ben wrote:Reading what other people say doesn't change my opinions, Dusty! :)
Well, if I can read what you said about the animals not normally being so personified as to help princesses clean, and think maybe you're right, maybe you could at least consider what I said and do the same for me? Anyway, if you didn't notice, in the first film where the animals ever did this, Snow White the animals were scared of Snow White and it was her sweet nature and sweet singing that enchanted them to help her. They didn't know what to do or were used to doing it before, either. The idea is the princess is so kind, so sweet, and even animalistic in her innocence, she can enchant the animals to work for her.

I do admit, however, that Giselle helping the animals along during the song would have been good, too. So see, I considered something you said and thought it was good.

And as for her transforming and realizing she's different in the dark, someone on another forum discovered that was homage, too!:

Once Upon A Dream, I also think Giselle should of done more to defeat the villain, but at least she did save the man.
Last edited by Dusterian on March 20th, 2008, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 19th, 2008, 6:15 pm

I just bought the widescreen DVD today from Target (haven't opened it yet) and I was reading the back of what it features in extras and no where does it say it includes the Carrie Underwood song. Is that exclusive to the BluRay version? I read the dvd review on the Views page and it said it was there somewhere, was that just talking about the BluRay disc or is it on there but not listed on the back?

Oh and the shiny slip cover looks great with, the not shiny cover isn't as impressive but not bad (as I remember there was a huge discussion about this earlier).
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Yep - Carrie IS on the disc. Look for the musical note on the bonus menu. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 19th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Okie, thank you. I'll look for it. It's just strange they don't mention it on the back. I would be sad if it wasn't there just because I like the little animation they did for that video. ^.^

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 19th, 2008, 11:21 pm

We still don't have this one at my house. Hopefully we'll get it soon.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 19th, 2008, 11:32 pm

I opened it and watched almost all the extras. I think they were all well done and very interesting. They seemed to show more than some special behind the scenes pieces (it seems like they planned to make so many extra specials for this movie). I do feel like there is more so I hope they load up the double disc edition as well when/if they come out with one.

I did find the music video but it was confusing how they put it in there and didn't mention it on the back cover.

Also the bonus dvd that came with film that I got at target was worth the extra dollar over buying it at another store. I just wish there was more on the extra dvd (like all the pieces that the included on the bluray version and not the dvd). I highly recommend that you try to find the version with the extra dvd if you are getting the dvd.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney's Enchanted

Post by Dusterian » March 20th, 2008, 1:33 pm

Ben, why are you ignoring me? You don't want to think about what someone else said, that it might be right? I guess there's a problem considering other animated views.

This is a discouragement to give my opinion on this forum, what a forum is supposed to be for.
Foxtale wrote:I did find the music video but it was confusing how they put it in there and didn't mention it on the back cover.
It is considered an Easter Egg. Do you know what those are? They are little bonus features that are hidden surprises for the DVD viewer. They are considered not so signifigant people will miss them, but they are also usually easy to find.