Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2006, 9:34 pm

These Platinum Editions keep on getting weaker and weaker...

The specs are in for next spring's Peter Pan, and what does this new 2-disc bring to the party for those who already have the original anniversary LaserDisc and Special Edition/Gold Collection DVDs?

Well, not a lot by the looks of things:

Disc ONE: *Audio Commentary with Animation Historian John Canemaker - I assume this is a carry over from the SE, with the Walt and animator inserts, but wasn't that "hosted" by Roy Disney? Are they saying they're going to <I>drop</I> that commentary on an already slim selection of offerings...!??

*Sneak Peek of the All-New Movie Tinker Bell - great, the "new" trailer we've all just seen (and doesn't belong here).

*Peter's Playful Prank: Story Book - from the SE

*Disney Song Selection - the same "Following The Leader" Sing-Along from the SE? Or just the songs from an alternative menu selection?

*New Music Video: 'Second Star to the Right (TBC) - good, another Circle Of Stars mis-mash.

*Sneak Peeks - that's a listed bonus spec now?

DISC TWO: *Camp Neverland – ‘Train To Be A Lost Boy’ Interactive games including: Smee’s Sudoku Challenge; T-'argh'-et Practice; Tink's Fantasy Flight - looks like they may have <I>lost</I> the Treasure Hunt game from the SE here.

*Backstage Disney – Behind the scenes features that allow the viewer to explore the inner workings of how Peter Pan was conceptualized and created including:

*The Walt Disney Christmas Show (1951) - previously appeared more appropriately on the <I>Alice In Wonderland</I> LD and DVD sets, a waste of one hour's disc space.

*The Peter Pan Story (1952 Featurette) - from the LD and the "Gold"/SE.

*'You Can Fly: The Making of Peter Pan' - created years ago for the LD, also previously on the SE.

*Tinker Bell: A Fairy's Tale - bogus promotion for the CGI movie on this classic film's DVD? Ugh!

*Reconstruction of an Alternate Opening for 'Peter Pan' - Wow! One new feature!

*'Neverland' Lyrics with Music by Richard Sherman - unsure what this is, but the Shermans were not on the Disney radar until later in the 1950s. Still, another "new" feature.

*In Walt's Words: 'Why I Made Peter Pan' - interesting to see what they do with this, but it feels like barrel scraping to say the least.

Deleted Song: 'Pirate Song' - featured on the anniversary LD and, I <I>think</I> as a sequence in the "You Can Fly" making of, so not "new".

...and, that's it!? :?

For a <I>Platinum</I>? That's pretty weak to say the least, and extremely disappointing for one of my favorite Disney features. Knowing that they'll add a game and try and fleece us all again on the sequel, they'd have been better off putting that into the mix too and presented a package that at least was value for money!

:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 8th, 2006, 10:54 pm

But how do you really feel about it? And don't hold back!

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2006, 11:18 pm

I <I>was</I> holding back! ;)

But that's not really on, is it? Adding a second disc of footage that's at least 80-85%, if not more, been previously available?

I'm hoping the "You Can Fly" segment is more than the 15-20 minute general piece we got created for the LD and that appeared on the SE. If it's not some 50 minute upgrade, this doesn't deserve the Platinum badge.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2006, 12:14 am

Ben wrote:*The Walt Disney Christmas Show (1951) - previously appeared more appropriately on the <I>Alice In Wonderland</I> LD and DVD sets, a waste of one hour's disc space.
Okay, get ready to see me eat my hat. I was almost off to bed and this "Christmas Show" kept knocking around in my head. Why the heck were they not calling it by its original name, <I>One Hour In Wonderland</I>, I wondered? Probably to break the connection with <I>Alice</I> since Bobby Driscoll appeared in it.

Then it hit me!!

<I>The Walt Disney Christmas Show</I> is NOT <I>One Hour In Wonderland</I> - this maks this Platinum Edition a lot more inviting. <I>One Hour</I> was, as you may know, Walt's first foray into television programs, based on the package format of <I>Fun And Fancy Free</I>. That's the show that featured Kathryn Beaumont, set at Walt's "house" as he presented classic cartoons and a look at <I>Alice</I>, which appeared on the LD and DVD sets for that film.

The following year, the network wanted a similar show, and Walt thought this could be a regular event. Again broadcast on December 25, <I>The Walt Disney Christmas Show</I> has <I>NEVER</I> been seen in full since then! I'm actually quite excited now, even if I do feel the <I>Pan</I> set is lightweight everywhere else.

But the inclusion of that show has taken away most of the disappointment I initially poured out here - <I>now</I> we have something of truly archival importance for us hard-core fans to catch for the first time! In it, Bobby Driscoll and Kathryn Beamont reveal their roles in <I>Pan</I>, that wouldn't be seen for just over another year and is also important for the fact that it was Walt's last TV special before launching Disneyland as a weekly show in 1954.

So, color me much, much happier! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 9th, 2006, 8:59 am

I'm eager to see that special, as I really enjoyed seeing One hour in Wonderland.

As for other features, well, I've never bougfht PP on DVD before, so I'll look forward to getting this version. I do have the LD, though, so this will be only a minor upgrade. I would have liked to at least have gotten the silent PP film that was included in a European release.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Peter Pan: Platinum specs

Post by Josh » December 9th, 2006, 9:13 am

Ben wrote:*Sneak Peeks - that's a listed bonus spec now?
Remember when "Full-Color Character Artwork on Disc" was also touted as a bonus feature? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm

Ahh, yes, Full-Color artwork! :)

And exactly, Rand, the 1924 Paramount silent would have been great, and I feel a lack of trailers that hopefully just haven't been announced yet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 9th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Adding up these lame-ass last minute bonus features with the fact that it wasn't originally intended to be part of the line, leads me to think that this is gonna be one of the weakest PE's yet. I wouldn't be surpised if the digital restoration isn't done by Lowry and will dissapoint in every aspect.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 9th, 2006, 4:17 pm

To be quite honest, I'm not really exited about this platinum release. Not so much the movie, but the questioning of why? Peter just had a Special Edition not to long, so why the Platinum treatment? The only possible reason behind this, is to promote Tinker Bell. If it really is the sole purpose of promoting, than than that's a shame :(

The Platinum Editions are for special fims that haven't been released in years. I would've even preffered an Aristocats or Jungle Book upgrade, but Peter? All I have to say is, this somewhat array of new goodies isn't good enough for me to double dip.

I'm hoping the next Platinums are more up to par, because this is just pitaful :x

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2006, 10:01 pm

As possibly my favorite "middle-Walt" era film, I <I>was</I> excited that Pan had been added to the PE line as I'd hoped it would mean it got some special attention, but the features are not as extensive as they should or could be.

But, after thinking about that Christmas Show, I have to say that, for hard-core nuts, that's going to be the find of the set and the reason to buy, and if you've seen the preview on the Cars DVD then the restoration won't be a disappointment - it looks the best Pan has looked in years and <I>very</I> close to the original artwork I recently saw in Paris.

So, it's the Christmas Show that just about saves things, but the 1924 Paramount feature (it was bundled in the French 2-disc, Rand) would be great and trailers are, I hope, an unannounced must.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 9th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Ben wrote:As possibly my favorite "middle-Walt" era film, I <I>was</I> excited that Pan had been added to the PE line as I'd hoped it would mean it got some special attention, but the features are not as extensive as they should or could be.
Me to! :) even though I said I liked the sequel more, I really like both equally.

And your certanly right about the features, they could've included a little more.
Ben wrote: and if you've seen the preview on the Cars DVD then the restoration won't be a disappointment - it looks the best Pan has looked in years
Nope I haven't. Is it that good :? Does it look a lot better than the SE? Now its starting to grab my interest :P

I'll have to catch the preview after Christmas! :)
Ben wrote: So, it's the Christmas Show that just about saves things, but the 1924 Paramount feature (it was bundled in the French 2-disc, Rand) would be great and trailers are, I hope, an unannounced must.
That Christmas show must really be something huh, Ben? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 10th, 2006, 8:52 am

For hard-core guys like me then, yeah, the Christmas Show is going to be where it's at.

The Peter Pan Story has been seen on all previous incarnations, and while that's a nice piece, the 1951 Christmas special has never been seen since, as far as I am aware, though we may have seen excerpts over the years.

I wouldn't know the comparison in picture to the SE, as that release only contained the audio commentary over the original LD, so I kept my laser and never picked up the SE.

As with most of these things, though, the LD was a great 1990s video paintbox clean up, but this is a full-on digital restoration, and I do believe DTS Images were behind it, so it should be on Bambi quality level at least. Certainly what I saw in the preview looks less murky than the CAV LD (whch was great anyway) and closer to the original artwork, so it should be good.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 10th, 2006, 3:24 pm

I agree that the platinums seems to be losing their way (although The Little Mermaid had some great, quality bonus material). I didn't even bother getting the Cinderella platinum due to there being very few extra features that weren't either aimed at young girls or didn't belong (ESPN "cinderella stories"? Totally weak idea). I'm really anticipating the Jungle Book platinum, so I hope it's not disappointing.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 10th, 2006, 3:35 pm

I'm gonna be laughed at for asking this, but I will anyway: Are there any known plans for a new edition of RTNL?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Ben wrote:I wouldn't know the comparison in picture to the SE, as that release only contained the audio commentary over the original LD, so I kept my laser and never picked up the SE.
Oh, ok Ben. I'll just have to make my own comparison :) thanks anyway!