The Jungle Book: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 12th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Oh ok. But we were talking about Jungle Book, ya know. ;) (loop whole!)

Well, its kinda ovbious the parents knew, as they giggled, and stuff. But I see your point!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 12th, 2007, 7:17 pm

that one song (Jungle Rhythm) is really catchy.[/quote]

I caught it on YouTube after hearing everyone praise it here - it was a pretty fun tune. The only thing that stuck out to me though was how Mogli looked half-naked compared to the other boys. :shock:
Btw, what scene?
Oh, geeze...Some song sequence with a bunch of animals dancing, I think. I saw a few seconds of it in a store once.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Mitch » January 12th, 2007, 7:20 pm

Danny Heheh -- yeah, you're right. We are talking about The Jungle Book here, so I guess it kind of had to have an ending like that. But still.... ;)

Meg - Haha! Yeah, but he was a jungle boy. He's only allowed to have one strip of clothing on, much less a shirt. :P
Meg wrote: Oh, geeze...Some song sequence with a bunch of animals dancing, I think. I saw a few seconds of it in a store once.
I think you're referring to the song W-I-L-D in The Jungle Book 2. I hated that song -- couldn't wait for it to end. :P
"Welcome to hell." - Skinner

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 12th, 2007, 8:28 pm

Yeah, yeah.

Your right, Mitch! It does sound like W-I-L-D. I actually, liked that song! It was so catchy, and fun to watch!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2007, 5:02 pm

Added cover art to the orignal post! :)

And here's an interesting blurb, that was in todays USA Today paper;
The Jungle Book will come to you!

This fall, The Jungle Book will no longer be on a DVD with simply the bare necessities. A new two-disc The Jungle Book Platinum Edition ($30, due Oct. 2) will have a restored version of the 1967 film, along with The Bare Necessities: The Making of The Jungle Book, which shows producer Walt Disney at work. (It was the last film Disney worked on.) Extras also include seven additional songs, plus an alternate version of Oscar-nominated Bare Necessities, and a new character, Rocky the Rhino, who did not make the final production but was voiced and appeared in early storyboards. -Mike Snider
Nice. So far, this Platinum Edition is sounding very promising. And hopefully, the new transfer will look worlds better than Peter Pan. *shrugs*

First things first, the cover art looks.... ok. To me, some if not everybody, looks off model. And the bottom looks too crowded. :? Knowing Disney though, they'll most likley improve it, so here's hoping! :)

The bonus features are also sounding promising. What with the making of featurette, and the 7 additional songs, its sounding great!

Features aside, I'm really exited about The Jungle Book being a digital transfer, and the fact that its going to be in widescreen! Yay. I don't own any version of the film right now (VHS died) so I'm definetly going to be getting this! :D

Oh, and credit goes to UD for all the info!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 23rd, 2007, 5:33 pm

DVDACTIVE has details on the platinum editon with big size cover art
(wich looks afwul btw,DTV covers look better then that)
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... -book.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2007, 7:05 pm

Isn't that pretty much what I posted, Z? ;)

But yeah, I agree about the cover art!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 23rd, 2007, 7:13 pm

Yes, but I can't see the image on your first post, so maybe others can't as well.
That's why Daniel :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 23rd, 2007, 7:31 pm

I am so looking forward to this. Jungle Book is one of my fave Disney movies, so I hope the dvd delivers (moreso than Peter Pan at least. After reading Ben's review I'm wondering whether I should pick it up on the strength of the film itself or forget it and wait for a better edition to come along).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 23rd, 2007, 7:38 pm

Personally, I would wait, eddy. But its your decision. Choose wisely! ;)
Zwollie wrote:Yes, but I can't see the image on your first post, so maybe others can't as well.
That's why Daniel :)
Oh, ok. :)

That's weired though, I can see it just fine. :? In any case, thanks for being considerate, Z! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2007, 2:47 pm

Awwe, crap.

Widescreen ONLY??

So glad I'm keeping my LD with the FULL image. JB was animated to 1.37:1 negative, meaning that it was cropped in theaters, with the top and bottom sliced off (don't worry, it was framed with that in mind).

Walt preferred this as it mean the size was right for later TV showings.

So far, Disney has always issued it on home video in its "original theatrical aspect ratio" of 1.33:1 (close enough to 1.37).

Now that 1.78:1 HD programming is becoming the norm for mastering, guess what? All of Disney's post Sleeping Beauty features will now get their tops and bottoms removed for home video.

Sword In The Stone, 101 Dalmatians, Jungle Book, AristoCats - and it's already happened to Robin Hood - will all come out again in their "original theatrical aspect ratios".

In a way, that's true, but just as we've been given full-frame and widescreen in the past, the "new" transfers (specifaclly being made for future Blu-Ray disc remember), should sit side by side with the original negative ratio too - but we won't get it, not least because Disney won't want to be accused of simply cutting off the top and bottom of the frame.

For all those getting excited about getting some extra picture info left and right, you're in for a shock. All we'll be getting is "missing" picture info top and bottom, and without, it looks like, a reassuring original full-frame version alongside to have safe too.

Yet another "Platinum", before release, looks to be a waste of time, especially if the "making of" is the same as the one from the LD, which after Peter Pan I'm not putting anything past them.

Rubbish. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 4th, 2007, 11:25 pm

Yeah, it's hard to get ones hopes up, eh?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » April 5th, 2007, 6:48 am

They could include the widescreen & full screen versions together on it's future Blu-ray/HD-DVD releases........but they wont :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2007, 8:24 am

Nope. It's 1.78:1 all the way.

The day when older 1.33 programming will be cropped, as the 1960s theatrical re-issue of Gone With The Wind was, is not too far off, and it's already happening with arhive footage being excerpted within documentaries being made nowadays...often badly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 5th, 2007, 11:03 am

Not to start an arguement, Ben, but not everyone has Jungle Book on LD and the prevous dvd release (which I don't have either) had the film only and no extras, so any bonus material, especially if it's worthwhile (I seem to be in the minority in being satisfied with the Little Mermaid platinum) would be an improvement. And that's all I have to say about that.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83