Enchanted

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 9th, 2007, 11:16 am

The only detail I care about other the hand-drawn animation excellence is the fact that Amy Adams is a red-headed babe!

Best looking Disney princess since Ariel...

(And with that, I've said WAY too much...!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 9th, 2007, 12:49 pm

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 9th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Doing what?

Making traditional animated films...or not. Sad

They totally should do traditonally animated films, maybe kind of ease them in from CGI and then go back totally to 2d. My opinion.

I just think they should go back to releasing an animated feature every 12-18 months, the way it used to be. Not every three or four YEARS.

It's so ridiculous, out of date, anachronistic, and retro (especially in our fast paced IM/E-Mail/Text message world) that if it was anyone but Pixar suggesting to do this, well....I'm not even going to finish that sentence. Everyone already knows what I'm gettin' at. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 9th, 2007, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 9th, 2007, 9:14 pm

I don't want Disney to go back to doing ONLY 2-D...I'm hoping they do both. I like the style Disney is developing with their CG films and don't want it to go down the drain, so to speak.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 4:23 am

I don't want Disney to go back to doing ONLY 2-D...I'm hoping they do both. I like the style Disney is developing with their CG films and don't want it to go down the drain, so to speak.
In a way...I kinda do too Meg. :wink:

Yeah I hope 2d becomes front and center again, but would love CGI to stay a "pet project" for quirky/unusual stuff. IMHO, that's the way it should be. :)

On release dates...all I've got to say is: I'd like to see Pixar release their OWN films every 3 to 4 years and then say they're doing it to "build anticipation". :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2007, 5:38 am

ShyViolet wrote:I just think they should go back to releasing an animated feature every 12-18 months, the way it used to be. Not every three or four YEARS.
What, how like Walt used to put 'em out? ;)

Seriously...one of two things will happen...one, the traditional films will flop, but make enough to warrant their expernditure and persuade the studio to keep making them as "legacy pieces" that will eventually see money on video and TV. Or two, these films will be massive hits, and more will be ordered.

Despite what anyone will tell you, <I>nothing</I> is structured. Disney, DreamWorks, Fox...it all comes down to the bottom line. You don't think Sony are going to make <I>Spider-Man 5</I> and <I>6</I> if enough people are burned by <I>3</I> and don't make <I>4</I> an equal success? You don't think <I>Shrek 4</I> and <I>Puss In Boots</I> might not go direct-to-DVD if those <I>Shrek The Third</I> reviews put enough people off making that a hit?

If <I>The Fellowship Of The Ring</I> had been a modest hit, or an almightly flop, the plan was to not allow Jackson his re-shoots and additional scenes, cut back on the vfx and turn <I>Two Towers</I> and <I>Return Of The King</I> into a four-hour mini-series!

Ergo, it works the other way. If these Disney films become big, big hits, it will "prove" that this is what Disney is "supposed" to be doing, and we'll see more traditional films coming from Disney and probably less CG ones, despite the baloney that "the story dictates the medium".

As Bobbi Flekman once said so memorably, "Money talks and ******** walks"... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 6:08 am

What, how like Walt used to put 'em out? Wink
I know he did, but Walt had almost no competitors (at least with animated movies by other studios, not talking about shorts.) Also no Internet, Itunes, podcasts or DVDs constantly coming out every five minutes to grab people's attention.

I know many have said they want things to be like when Walt was alive but...the world is so different now. Disney, WDFA, needs to be upfront and center to let everyone know that they are NOT gone. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2007, 6:13 am

ShyViolet wrote:Walt had almost no competitors (at least with animated movies by other studios, not talking about shorts.)
I'm sorry...who else is currently making major studio-backed hand-animated films...?

There's something to be said about being the special event that stands out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 6:21 am

I guess.:wink:

Maybe just because I mostly grew up with Disney films coming out almost every year (with the exception of Great Mouse Detective, and then two years later Oliver) that I think this way. :)

And it wasn't even two years because Cinderella was re-released in 1987!)

I saw Alice in Wonderland in a movie theater when I was 6 years old back in 1984 I think (kinda hazy), but I'm not sure if I realized (probably not) how old it really was. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 6:52 am

Or two, these films will be massive hits, and more will be ordered.

I REALLY hope this comes true.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » May 11th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Ben wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:I just think they should go back to releasing an animated feature every 12-18 months, the way it used to be. Not every three or four YEARS.
What, how like Walt used to put 'em out? ;)

Ah,

World War II! Maybe the best thing that ever happened to the Disney Studio?

At the rate Walt Disney was burning money with every new thing he wanted to do BEFORE the parks were established, he should have gone bankrupt a LONG time before the 1950s, Big Brother Roy or not!

As foreign as business and economics may seem to some, you STILL have to pay your bills!

That's why I'm getting training for a job in a stable field that I can move up in... If I STILL want to do animation or other filmwork, I'll do it in my spare time and as a hobby I can afford with my primary job.

For most of us used to to some level of comfort and stability, filmmaking isn't a realistic option.

For every name that has survived and become a show business legend to this day, there are at least 100 forgotten names...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 11th, 2007, 6:54 pm

Most people in the film and animation biz don't do what they do for money or fame, George...They do it because it's their passion.

I'd rather have a low-paying job that I adore and look foward to everyday than a decent-paying one that leaves me moody and unhappy any day...Perhaps that's just me though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 11th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Most people in the film and animation biz don't do what they do for money or fame, George...They do it because it's their passion.

I do agree that passion and loving your job is really important Meg, and I really, really admire those who follow their dreams. Not everyone has the guts to do that.

Sometimes, however, the reason some people (not everyone, but some) pull out of the biz is not 'cause they aren't making six figures, or aren't successful enough....it's because, due to the often low pay and very unstable nature of this business (and Hollywood in general) they just aren't making enough money to pay their bills--house bills, family bills, food bills, medical bills, phone bills--it's just too difficult.

Moving to LA increases your chances of course--but LA is quite expensive to live in, to rent in, much less buy a house and want to raise a family in. And not everyone, but many people do want to eventually settle down and have kids. That compounds the money problem tremendously. (particularly in a country where--sorry to get on the soap box--health care and health insurance is a very unfortunate joke. :?)

I don't mean to sound negative, and all of this isn't even (completely) based on my own experience but things I've read/researched. It's just really hard for people now--not just in animation but many professions--to make ends meet. Everything is becoming more and more expensive and harder to attain, it seems. And to top it all off you have television shows and movies that make it seem like everyone can get ANYTHING they want at any time, as much as they want.

It just isn't true. :(

(Sorry if I depressed everyone. :wink: I really hope things get better, in the animation field, and of course all fields. As we've been reading in many recent stories, animation isn't--by and large-- "one job for life" like it used to be, at all. Many animators work on a film-by-film freelance basis, which is a big reason why they're so bitter. That's why so many leave the industry.)

But hopefully if Disney does better and 2d comes back, WDFA will need lots more guys who actually remember or can be trained to work on 2d films....if 2d does come back, there might even be a serious need for them again. :)

EDIT: Again....did not mean at all to sound negative/patronizing...I myself haven't had ANY professional experience in animation, just as a student in a creative field, although when I was much younger, believe it or not, I also dreamed of becoming an animator. :wink: :oops: I mean, who hasn't? :)

I definitely think it can happen for many people, and there are opportunities out there. But it's like everything else in this life--nothing is a sure bet. I think George is just saying that it's good to have a safety cushion lined up in case things don't work out.

World War II! Maybe the best thing that ever happened to the Disney Studio?
Too bad you can't say that about the war going on now....not that I approve/disapprove of it, just commenting. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2007, 8:18 am

GeorgeC wrote:For every name that has survived and become a show business legend to this day, there are at least 100 forgotten names...
Make that 1000. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Enchanted Trailer !!!!

Post by Prince Kido » May 22nd, 2007, 8:43 am

I've just found this link to download the exclusive and official trailer of Enchanted!! Enjoy and i so much love this new Disney heroine, Giselle!!
http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/05/direct ... anted.html